Apple Watch Battery Drain

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by omegis83, May 18, 2015.

1. omegis83 macrumors 6502

omegis83

So, I'm going to say I've noticed excessive battery drain lately on the watch where it's not being used very much throughout the day but it's ending up with <10% battery at night for no apparent reason, possibly due to a bug.

The scenario:
    Typically, I take my watch off the charger around 8 am and wear it all day, until around 10 pm. I'd say my usage is very light in the morning. In the afternoon, I'll start playing music from a synced playlist on my watch and connect my Jaybird Bluebuds to my watch so I can run and listen to music. This allows me to run without my iPhone. I'll run for around 30-40 minutes using the Outdoor Run workout on the watch and then I choose End, followed by Save. Next, I'll power down my Jaybirds which causes music to pause on the watch. I'll pull up the Clock on my watch and go about my day. At this point, my watch is around 60% battery. Today, I ended my run at 4 pm. By 10 pm, after very light usage, I'll get the prompt to go into Power Reserve mode.

Now, other than running, my iPhone is nearby because my work doesn't have wifi so I need to rely on Bluetooth connection. This issue is only happening to me after running and playing music through my watch to my bluetooth headphones. What I think may be the issue is the watch is trying to Airplay music through my bluetooth headphones after they are disconnected forcing excessive battery drain.

My test will be tomorrow where I'll force close the music app after my run and see what my battery ends up at later that night. I won't restart the watch between now and then just to test if this actually is a bug. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I'll try to restart the watch and see if that makes a difference.

Has anybody else run into a similar issue? I want to try and get all the data I can before possibly submitting a bug report to Apple.

2. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Hmm well my 6+ at 11:20PM is at 55% and my Watch on its first day is at 44%. Phone hasn't been plugged in since 8AM and Watch arrived at 11AM with 80% battery to start. I'm running the latest 8.4 dev beta.

3. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

If your battery is at 60% at 4pm and it goes into power reserve mode at the end of the day with light usage, there's definitely something wrong.

4. omegis83, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015

omegis83 thread starter macrumors 6502

omegis83

Apple Watch Battery Drain

I've been trying to recall any new apps that may have been pushed over to my watch that may be causing some kind of hang up but none come to mind. And as I said, this issue is only occurring after days when I go run. I didn't run Friday, Saturday, or Sunday and battery was fine.

I'm willing to bet that if I was to Force Touch the Music app on my watch after powering off my headphones, there'd be three options: Source, Shuffle, and AirPlay. I'll check that tomorrow too and even give it about 2 hours to note the battery drain after I finish my run. Next, I'll force close the Music app and see what the drain is after another 2 hours. Maybe they'll be different. The Apple site does say 6.5 hours music playback (average) for the watch so that may be in line with what I'm seeing.

5. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Have you tried turning off 'hey siri' and fiddling with the heart rate monitor settings?

After switching off 'hey siri' I'm seeing 40% by 7-8 PM EST with moderate usage.

6. Snowboarder005 macrumors newbie

Snowboarder005

Hi I have just got a watch and paired it with plantronics backbeat and I am having the same issue did you resolve this?

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Have you just tried powering the watch down and back on again?

8. woodwardimogen macrumors newbie

Good idea

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Maybe un-pair and re-pair, it is worth a try.

10. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

This is what I'd suggest as well. Turning off features on a smart device never makes sense to me.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Me too!

I have never had to turn off any features to get through a day and mostly have 30-40% remaining after a full day.

12. nicho macrumors 68000

replying to a problem 8 months old never makes sense to me, but each to their own...

13. Julien, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

14. nicho macrumors 68000