Apple Watch Battery Drain

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Kardinal1911, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Kardinal1911 macrumors regular

Kardinal1911

Has anyone else’s watch battery been draining like crazy since installing the latest Beta... my watch has definitely taken a hit as of late...

2. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

Latest beta? No, 4.2.2. killed my Series 1 already. Barely make through one day on a full charge...

3. Simon89 macrumors member

I'd say 4.3 beta 1 has had a massive impact on my series 0. My new series 3 is on 92% and and has been off charge for 7 hours, the series 0 would be around 60% by now.

4. Moorepheus macrumors 6502

Moorepheus

I just picked up the Series 3 yesterday (first apple watch I own). I am not running the beta, but running the latest released version. However, I do notice how quickly the Watch's battery drains when on cellular. OMG, I could watch the counter click down.

As for not on cellular, the battery drain is acceptable. I got the phone with 65% battery, ran the setup, did the update (while charging...took about 30-40 minutes), installed some apps. When I went to bed, it was at 68%. Woke up, after 7+ hours sleeping, was down only to 56%. (this was will running the "Pillow" app and wearing all night). At lunch, I left my iPhone in the office, just to see what cellular was like on the phone. WOW, I watched it drop 5% in less than 10 (40%-35%) minutes. I turned off Cellular and the bleed stopped. Back in the office, turned back on cellular (since I was near my iPhone). 2+ hours after being back in the office, I am still at 30%. So far, I am pleased with the battery of the Series 3 (other than on cellular). For the most part, all settings are set to default still.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

4.2.2 isnt playing nice with my watch. Typically I could go 16 hours off the charger and still be at 80%. Now, I’m roughly 50-55% after the same time frame. Still gets me through two days, but a noticeable hit. Nothing else has changed but the update, and the last thing I want to do is repair and lose my calibration data.

6. newtestleper macrumors 6502

If you put your watch in theatre mode while sleeping, the lack of screen-on time will give you even less battery usage (unless you already do this).

7. Moorepheus macrumors 6502

Moorepheus

No, I don't do that, but I am ok with 1-3% in battery drain while sleeping and running the Pillow app on the watch.

Yesterday, made it 24 hours, was down to 67% and that was with me playing around with it a lot (getting familiar with it). (creating new faces, etc).

Today, it's been 12+ hours since my last charge and i am at 86%.

So far, I am pleased with the Watch Series 3.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

That’s what my pre-4.2.2 was like.

9. MJ22 macrumors regular

I can definitely notice a difference. I am a runner and before the update I would run a 10 miler, GPS and LTE on but no music or streaming, and after 1.5 hours have close to 40% battery left. Yesterday I did this same run with the same control factors and had 27% left. This is a problem. The AW has really stepped up its game to compete with many fitness watches but this is a complete and total deal breaker for marathoners or slower runners at a half marathon/10 Mile-ish distance. I am decently fast so I won’t have a problem running a half marathon with it, but a LOT of people will.

10. MJ22 macrumors regular

I just wanted to report that I restarted both my phone and my watch, un-paired and re-paired, and my battery life seems a lot better already. Even though un- and re-pairing was a pain in the butt, it was worth it. I haven’t used the GPS since doing this, but yesterday at this time my battery was already lower than it is now—I’ve had the watch on for 2.5 hours and still at 100% battery.

11. sananda macrumors 68020

I am getting terrible battery life and I barely use my Watch. I used to only need to charge it once every two days. Now it can’t make it through one day.

I have the original Watch and 4.2.2.

12. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

I've heard this from many people here now. I hope they fix this with the upcoming update, it's really annoying...

13. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

What really bothers me is the high usage time that is shown in the Watch settings.
    Even on days when I only use my Watch for checking a few notifications, the usage time is over 5 hrs in the evening, which seems to me like there's something running in the background almost all day...

I already re-installed all apps, turned off background app refresh and even re-paired the Watch. Nothing helped... Last chance would be setting up the Watch as new and losing all settings, watch faces etc. - which already sounds like a huge pain in the a**. Tbh, I'm on the verge of throwing my Watch out of the window...

14. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

Not on beta but 4.2.2 is killing my battery on my series 2. 4.2 was excellent. I wish I could downgrade.

The change in battery life is night and day. Unplugged last night. Now I'm at 40%. Usually I would be at or around 80%

15. infinitejest macrumors 6502

infinitejest

same here...

16. Moorepheus macrumors 6502

Moorepheus

Ok, have had the Series 3 watch now 11 days, and I will have to say, battery drain doesn't seem that bad (running 4.2.2). I can get almost 2 full days on the battery, with moderate use. With that said, I have uninstalled a lot of the companion apps and turned off notifications for a lot of apps except the ones that I really care about or want to get notifications from.