Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have a series 2 I’m thinking of getting the battery replaced by Apple.

Since it’s out of warranty I have to pay to call Apple here in Ireland.

I’d just like to know if anyone has had their battery’s replaced by Apple. Do they still certify the watch 50m water resistant after they open it up and replace the battery?

Thanks.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I have a series 2 I’m thinking of getting the battery replaced by Apple.

Since it’s out of warranty I have to pay to call Apple here in Ireland.

I’d just like to know if anyone has had their battery’s replaced by Apple. Do they still certify the watch 50m water resistant after they open it up and replace the battery?

Thanks.
I could be wrong, but I think I've read where they don't replace the batteries. They just give you a refurbished AW with a fresh battery in it. Again, not completely sure about that, but for whatever reason, that's what's in my head.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I could be wrong, but I think I've read where they don't replace the batteries. They just give you a refurbished AW with a fresh battery in it. Again, not completely sure about that, but for whatever reason, that's what's in my head.

I don’t know… I did go on to their website but they do t give you much info.

They do give you a battery replacement price and it’s €91 for all models.

Then they break it down by model if their is other out of warranty repair and for the series 2 space black it’s around €280.

Id get in touch with Apple if it was a free call but it’s not. Google didn’t make me wiser either.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Here's a quote from the Ireland website.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/watch/repair/service/pricing

Battery service - Ireland
Apple’s Limited Warranty covers batteries that fail due to workmanship and material. If we find that your battery is defective and is covered by warranty, consumer law, or AppleCare+, then there’s no fee. Apple’s warranty and AC+ are in addition to your existing consumer law rights.

Our warranty doesn’t apply to batteries that get consumed from normal use. If your battery was consumed by normal use, you may be able to replace your Apple Watch for a battery service fee, as shown below.

If you bought AppleCare+ for Apple Watch, it includes replacement coverage for consumed batteries at no additional charge if your battery can hold only 80 percent or less of its original capacity.

Battery service In-warranty or
with AppleCare+
Battery service fee
(out of warranty)

All eligible Watch models € 0 € 91.30

These prices are for service directly from Apple. Pricing and terms vary at other service providers. Prices are in euro and include VAT. Out-of-warranty and battery service prices also include a € 12.30 shipping fee, which applies if we need to ship your Apple Watch for service. We’ll cover the shipping costs for your Apple Watch Edition. Your replacement Apple Watch will be new or equivalent to new.

The interesting part BOLDED above would imply that they don't replace the batteries and just give you a new or refurbed watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.