Apple Watch becomes mute after using AirPods / Bluetooth headphones

ColdShadow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
So I have this strange problem with Apple Watch,whenever I use a Bluetooth Headphones with it (tried Apple AirPods & also generic Bluetooth earphones) the Watch goes silent after using headphones.
And the only way to return to normal is restarting the watch.

(the actual silent mode is not activated but the watch is silent, makes no sound for any notification, etc just haptic vibrations).

I noticed this problem with Series 2 Nike+ and ignored it, but now I have the exact same problem with the new Series 3.

Anyone knows what's causing this?

vinnnocc

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
So I have this strange problem with Apple Watch,whenever I use a Bluetooth Headphones with it (tried Apple AirPods & also generic Bluetooth earphones) the Watch goes silent after using headphones.
And the only way to return to normal is restarting the watch.

(the actual silent mode is not activated but the watch is silent, makes no sound for any notification, etc just haptic vibrations).

I noticed this problem with Series 2 Nike+ and ignored it, but now I have the exact same problem with the new Series 3.

Anyone knows what's causing this?

weird because once i put my Airpods in i get zero sound from the airpods. still comes outa my watch. that seems dumb. if i’m wearing the airpods i want my notifications to come too then. not my wrist

ColdShadow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
weird because once i put my Airpods in i get zero sound from the airpods. still comes outa my watch. that seems dumb. if i’m wearing the airpods i want my notifications to come too then. not my wrist
That’s the exact opposite of what I’m experiencing,I wish others would comment on how things are on their Apple Watch + AirPods setup?

As soon as I put AirPods in my ear every sound is transferred to Airpods (as it should be) but once I’m done and put them back in their case,the watch goes completely silent and only makes haptip vibrations on my wrist for noticifications.

The only solution is to re-start the watch.
Or if I receive a phone call via wifi the watch will ring and after that it’s back to normal.

Same problem with 2 different watches (S2 and S3) and using both generic Bluetooth headphones or Apple AirPods.

BA2020

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2017
I’ve had this issue often, but not the OP problem.

What I do in this case is play some music, which only wants to play over BT.

The other thing to try for both situations is go to Control Center, and there’s an selection that can be made to have output go to BT/AirPods or Speaker.