Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I just watched the guided tools and noticed that whenever someone pushes the digital crown or other button they hold the watch with another finger while pressing.

Maybe this was just to keep the watch steady for the videos but it seems it would be more convenient to not have to touch that hard to press the button, that you should just do it with one finger? Maybe it requires a hard press to activate the button?

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....Maybe this wash just to keep the watch steady for the videos...

This because even a SMALL movement will produce a extremely LARGE image shift in the magnified video image.

Also the 'pinch' is a very natural way to press a button on a watch.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
This because even a SMALL movement will produce a extremely LARGE image shift in the magnified video image.

Yes pinch is natural but sometimes using just one finger is more convenient like when working out. My current watch only requires one finger to press chrono button.

refslady

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Thawing North
Whether two fingers are needed will also depend upon how snugly you are wearing the watch. If it is sufficiently secured, you will be able to manipulate the crown without the watch shifting position on your wrist.

Last edited:

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I'm more concerned about accidently pressing the crown by twisting my wrist.
Why wear the watch so close to your hand?

Besides, people say the pulse sensor is more accurate if it's worn further up your arm. If you care at all about that sort of thing, of course... :)

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Why wear the watch so close to your hand?

Besides, people say the pulse sensor is more accurate if it's worn further up your arm. If you care at all about that sort of thing, of course... :)

This is how I would wear it. Not further up my arm.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada

That's what I've been thinking too. I always wear my watch at the end of my wrist but for some reason all the Apple promo photos show the watch worn further up the arm. Maybe it's just to show it off better in the pictures but I hope it's not because the pulse sensor needs to be further up to work. I think it looks silly to wear it that far up and I have a tattoo in that spot that I don't want covered.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's what I've been thinking too. I always wear my watch at the end of my wrist but for some reason all the Apple promo photos show the watch worn further up the arm. Maybe it's just to show it off better in the pictures but I hope it's not because the pulse sensor needs to be further up to work. I think it looks silly to wear it that far up and I have a tattoo in that spot that I don't want covered.

I usually wear my watch about an inch up (approximately where Apple is showing it in the guided tours). It's usually the narrowest part of the arm.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Wearing the watch up against the hand is illogical, but, likely a trend caused by fashion photos, ironically. In order to keep that watch in view and satisfy the need of the photographer, models would push it out that way. But why would you ever wear a watch in such an uncomfortable, awkward position?

Look, watches should be worn up the arm just past where the wrist actually bends. It's more stable there, it's narrower, it has less "stuff" moving and being compressed in your arm by the watch itself. It simply makes more sense. And yeah, if you want that HR monitor to work, you'll be adjusting your habits. I use a wrist-based HR monitor and if you don't wear it at least that high, it is so wrong, talking crazy 30 BPM or more off due to movement.

Watch use has become so bizarre in my lifetime, like, people just can't even figure it out, as though a watch is so confusing. I'm sure watch sizes growing irrationally huge has not helped things.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I'm more concerned about accidently pressing the crown by twisting my wrist.

Your wrist twisting issue reminded me of an LED watch I had as a kid. All the cool-kids had them in the 70's :)

You had to push a side button to read the time. It was an awkward two-handed operation. One neat trick we quickly discovered was that if you wore the watch down near your hand, you could flick your hand backwards and (sometimes) hit the button. Voila. Time! It was a bit of a work-around, but it silenced the un-cool detractors who said our two-handed-push-to-read watches were a backward step.

Anyway, back to the future in 2012. Braun solved your wrist-twist issue by moving their "digital crown" to the left, recessing it and making it a swipe-only control (like a mouse scroll wheel). Here's what it looks like on their BN10 watch.

More info: http://www.braun-clocks.com/watch/BN0106S

Attachments

• 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Wearing the watch up against the hand is illogical, but, likely a trend caused by fashion photos, ironically
It's a trend caused by watches being invented :) I've never seen anyone wear a watch anywhere else in real life, nor have I worn it anywhere else. Maybe I'm just not a professional watch fashion guru...

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Illogical? (Spock, is that you? :) )

If you don't want it hidden under a shirt cuff/jacket/sportcoat/suit sleeve then it's not really illogical. Practical, more like.

It's illogical to wear a watch in a way that interferes with the normal operation of your joints. And it's unnecessary. You can easily get your watch out from under a cuff/sleeve with the right sort of arm lift maneuver. Life-long watch wearers probably know what I mean.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
It's illogical to wear a watch in a way that interferes with the normal operation of your joints.

Agreed. But I think you're wearing it way too tight if it's significantly impairing your joint mobility.

Life-long watch wearers probably know what I mean.

Indeed. I am and I do. It makes it difficult to surreptitiously check your notifications however. May as well just dig your phone out of your pocket (or just leave it face-up on the table).

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012

You are quite right. I pinch my watch all the time. It likes it, naturally.
[doublepost=1461699091][/doublepost]

This man has quite a small wrist. The watch looks tiny on mine... look at how that wristband nearly goes flat straight from the watch around the wrist... sheesh.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
It just seemed natural for me to flip the watch around so the buttons face up my arm and not my wrist. Much easier access and feel and intuitive way for me to push the buttons which are on the bottom left. This way you can use your wrist as a backstop if you need when pushing the buttons. Much more natural and easy for me anyway and the buttons don't hit your wrist in normal wear position... I use my thumb now to push the buttons and my forefinger pn the opposite side if I need to.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I don't recall ever having an issue with the button getting pressed accidentally during normal, daily wear. I wear my watch just above that little bone.

However, I have had it press a couple of times during a workout when my gloves pressed against it. After accidentally stopping my workout, I make sure that it's on ANY screen except the one that stops a workout!

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
People explaining to other people on how to wear a watch. :/ Wear it however you like. It's jewelry and a fashion device. I have a metal link on mine and it's a little loose. It will slide to my hand or to the other side of the bone. Doesn't interfere with the sensor and it doesn't lock up. If I need to do something and it's in the way I just flick my wrist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.