Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I've just finalized my decision to purchase a Series 3 42 SG SS after going back and forth between it and a Nike+ with cellular. Believe me, it was not an easy decision and I'm still a little bit on the fence even after pushing that "Purchase" button. The CDN$320 difference between the two is also a little hard to swallow but coming from owning the very first aluminum a while back and skipping the Series 1 and Series 2 altogether, I thought of treating myself a little.

Knowing how these watches don't really hold a re-sale value, and the obvious improvement in speed every time they get updated, do you think the next iteration will have a re-design? Is it a good idea to hold off at this point since we now have 4 iterations of this product? Will the next be the re-desinged watch? I know, I know, we all don't have a crystal ball but it would be nice to get a tip from an Apple designer right now LOL!

I am struggling with my purchase. I do want an Apple Watch but I don't really need it. I can afford it but something in me is telling me to use the CDN$900+ I spent on other things...a 4K Sony TV to use as my computer monitor?

I am always pretty good at making these types of decisions quickly, but this one got to me. What do you guys suggest?

UPDATE: I just opened and set-up my AW and boy did it ever change my mind...to keep it and be happy. This thing is beautiful, flawless and the software is faster than I thought it would. It made me think a re-design is probably still a long ways coming, I mean, what’s to change in this beautiful timepiece?

Last edited:

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
They probably won't and if you plan on keeping the ss 2-3 years then don't have buyers remorse. A vacation is always the better option lol, I'd say go with the vacation if you haven't had one in awhile

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
I don’t think here will be a redesign due to let being introduced and more 1st timers this round.

Apple wants to grease everyone as much as they can on the bands

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Nobody but Apple knows what the pipeline holds so forget about that aspect of your decision making. I say sleep on it. Wake up tomorrow and give it more thought. I struggle with this stuff too. Like the 2 Sport I bought this past year. I still covet the SS model, but wasn't willing to shell out the price for it. This of course having absolutely no experience with the watch and not knowing how much I'd use/wear it. Part of me would love to buy a SS model of the 3, and I do think about it. Better judgement catches me and suggests that I wait for a while and enjoy what I have.

Good luck in your decision making, let us know what you end up doing.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Nobody but Apple knows what the pipeline holds so forget about that aspect of your decision making. I say sleep on it. Wake up tomorrow and give it more thought. I struggle with this stuff too. Like the 2 Sport I bought this past year. I still covet the SS model, but wasn't willing to shell out the price for it. This of course having absolutely no experience with the watch and not knowing how much I'd use/wear it. Part of me would love to buy a SS model of the 3, and I do think about it. Better judgement catches me and suggests that I wait for a while and enjoy what I have.

Good luck in your decision making, let us know what you end up doing.

Thank you. :) I agree, nobody knows but Apple on what's gonna happen.

I ended up getting the SS Space Black 42mm and I was lucky to pick it up from the Apple Store the same day. The Nike+ with Cellular is out of stock everywhere here and it was actually my first choice. The aluminum with cellular are actually attractive enough this time around because of their ceramic back (I can live with ion-x since my first gen aluminum survived a year without a single scratch). The stainless steels have only the sapphire crystal going for them. The aluminum bodies are less prone to scratches in my experience. That and having extra watch faces is bonus.

But oh well...I got the SS anyway and I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Here's hoping the happiness lasts for a while.

I just hate these 1st World problems in our heads when there are better things to decide on.

Reactions: staggerlee41

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Congratulations on your purchase and thanks for the update. I hope it serves you well for years to come. Or at least until you get the next itch that needs to be addressed:)

Reactions: donster28

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I have buyers remorse for the Nike GPS only watch I picked up today. It’s going back and I plan on ordering the cellular.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm hoping they won't. It's just hard for me to keep using it when I know there's a better looking one out there, hehe...

I don’t think here will be a redesign due to let being introduced and more 1st timers this round.

Apple wants to grease everyone as much as they can on the bands

I’d they do a redesign, they’ll probably keep the lug design.

I would say a redesign is imminent. And the question is when do we see the next redesign? Many seem to think 2018 will be the next year for the redesign. That much we don't know, but if we do see a redesign, I see it retaining the rectangular form factor, perhaps more contoured to the wrist, a larger display and more casing options for the stainless model. Apple has used the same physical casing (Form) for three generations of the Apple Watch. I don't see them using the same casing for fourth generation. I don't think It will be drastically different, but I do think it will be more curved and slim.

That said, there is no doubt Apple will retain the band port design. The reason being, is they have executed the band switching perfectly and it's a huge profit for them in the band business given what they charge for prices. One of the strongest features of the Apple Watch, is switching the bands. I don't forsee Apple changing this by the next generation Apple Watch.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I would say a redesign is imminent. And the question is when do we see the next redesign? Many seem to think 2018 will be the next year for the redesign. That much we don't know, but if we do see a redesign, I see it retaining the rectangular form factor, perhaps more contoured to the wrist, a larger display and more casing options for the stainless model. Apple has used the same physical casing (Form) for three generations of the Apple Watch. I don't see them using the same casing for fourth generation. I don't think It will be drastically different, but I do think it will be more curved and slim.

That said, there is no doubt Apple will retain the band port design. The reason being, is they have executed the band switching perfectly and it's a huge profit for them in the band business given what they charge for prices. One of the strongest features of the Apple Watch, is switching the bands. I don't forsee Apple changing this by the next generation Apple Watch.

Just to clarify: the Series 3 is the 4th iteration (it started with the original Series 0).

I’m thinking the next iteration might not be too drastically changed from what we have now. I’m also thinking they might retain the thickness of the watch because the existing bands will all be severely loosened if they start tampering with the thickness. As for curving, I think this will also affect the looseness of the bands, that is if Apple doesn’t start a whole new line of bands which will not be wise.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just to clarify: the Series 3 is the 4th iteration (it started with the original Series 0).

I’m thinking the next iteration might not be too drastically changed from what we have now. I’m also thinking they might retain the thickness of the watch because the existing bands will all be severely loosened .

I was indicating this is the third year (April 2015-Sept 2017) in a row where we have seen the same physical casing introduced, given we saw two models last year in 2016 with the Series 1/2.

That said, if the thickness is reduced, we don't know how they're going to compensate for the security of the bands in place, but I wager they will reduce it. As for being thinner, I would suggest you take a look at Apples spectrum of their whole product line. Over the course of the generation of the Apple Watch, this is still a fairly new device, which will continually become more streamlined and modern. As products evolve, they become more efficient and like other Apple products, they do eventually start to thin. I don't see Apple retaining the current thickness for the next Apple Watch redesign, given the battery as well. I don't think it be drastically thinner, but I do believe it will be reduced and a new form factor is coming. But Again, the question is when, not if.

Last edited:
Reactions: eVolcre

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
No way. The Watch will not get thinner before all technology goals are achieved in the current frame. If the Watch lasts a whole day on LTE (without the iPhone around) and maybe if an always-on display is implemented, then the Watch can and will start to become thinner.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I think it's good to upgrade to the cellular just for the ceramic back alone. You don't have to use the cellular like I won't on mine.

I returned the GPS only version this morning and placed an order for the GPS+Cellular Nike version with the sport loop. It’s a 2-3 week wait but I know I’ll be much happier with it’s capabilities and materials (ceramic back).

Reactions: donster28
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.