Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your age?

• 6 - 10

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 11 - 15

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 16 - 20

Votes: 47 10.4%
  • 21 - 25

Votes: 77 17.1%
  • 26 - 30

Votes: 91 20.2%
  • 31 - 35

Votes: 62 13.8%
  • 36 - 40

Votes: 58 12.9%
  • 41 - 45

Votes: 32 7.1%
  • 45 - 50

Votes: 27 6.0%
  • 51 - 55

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 56 - 59

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • 60+

Votes: 20 4.4%

• Total voters

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Nope. I'm a 45 y.o Gen Xer. I had a C64 when I was 12. Used it all through high school w/ a dot matrix printer. To be sure it wasn't a household item like TVs but people had them. My cousin -- so jealous of him -- had an Apple II.

And most schools had some form of a computer lab back in the mid-80s with a mix of TRS-80s, Franklin PC clones, and/or Apple IIs and IICs. At my high school a semester of computer, which included programming in BASIC and LOGO, was required.

Also back in the 80s everyone wore a watch of some kind.

I suppose I should have qualified with "in any significant saturation". From a historical perspective, it sounds like you may still be somewhat of an anomaly. Also, I suppose it depends on the definition of "grew up with". I'm 29 and I cannot remember a time when our home didn't have a personal computer or a console video game system.

PAdams2359

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
Louisiana
49 M. Wanted blk SS, wife said get it. Then wanted Grey Aluminum, but now thinking SS and Mil. I guess I was thinking the Grey Alum so that I will not feel guilty if I decided to get a gen 2 with less guilt. I guess what I don't like is the blk SS only comes with $449.00 Blk SS band.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I wasted many hours playing majormud, tradewars, etc on local bbs.

Same! Good times, good times.

----------

I suppose I should have qualified with "in any significant saturation". From a historical perspective, it sounds like you may still be somewhat of an anomaly. Also, I suppose it depends on the definition of "grew up with". I'm 29 and I cannot remember a time when our home didn't have a personal computer or a console video game system.

Anyone who started using computers before they were 18 pretty much "grew up with" computers. Sure, the perspective of a person who cannot recall a time that their home did not have a computer will be different than the perspective of someone who can remember not having one, but that actually gives the person who grew up with them but can recall not having them a great sense of what these advances mean.

I think it's incredibly cool when people stay in tune with new tech as they age. Octogenarians who remember not even having a TV but are adept at operating computers, smart phones, etc? They must have a fascinating personal frame of reference, no?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
46. Getting stainless steel. Most likely 38mm but will have to try the 42mm in person (my Pebble Steel is 38mm and looks about right on me).

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

----------

Anyone who started using computers before they were 18 pretty much "grew up with" computers. Sure, the perspective of a person who cannot recall a time that their home did not have a computer will be different than the perspective of someone who can remember not having one, but that actually gives the person who grew up with them but can recall not having them a great sense of what these advances mean.

I think it's incredibly cool when people stay in tune with new tech as they age. Octogenarians who remember not even having a TV but are adept at operating computers, smart phones, etc? They must have a fascinating personal frame of reference, no?

I'm 45 and still find that going through the times we did with old computers, having windows or macs since day one and building PC's, we know much more than many younger ones today. It just works for them. It didn't just work for us. We learned computers inside and out, same with the software. My 8 year old isn't exactly going to be getting around me tech wise. Instead I find myself making sure she knows her way around a PC. Even my college aged nieces and nephews aren't exactly computer literate when it comes to the nuts and bolts part of it. They can barely use parts of Office and good luck with anything else.

danielceleste

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
18 and getting the SS with the black sport band.

I can't wait until I can go to school and not be bugged by my phone all day.

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE

----------

As I said earlier, I'm 47. We didn't have a computer in the house until I bought a Mac Plus when I was 21. However, I had one of the earliest PDAs: a Toshiba Memo Note III. It was my 8th grade graduation gift in 1981. Here's an ad for it's predecessor from 1979.

http://bitly.com/1xYybHd

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I'm 45 and still find that going through the times we did with old computers, having windows or macs since day one and building PC's, we know much more than many younger ones today. It just works for them. It didn't just work for us. We learned computers inside and out, same with the software. My 8 year old isn't exactly going to be getting around me tech wise. Instead I find myself making sure she knows her way around a PC. Even my college aged nieces and nephews aren't exactly computer literate when it comes to the nuts and bolts part of it. They can barely use parts of Office and good luck with anything else.

Ahhhh! The joy of building and upgrading a system. The first time I replaced a video card I went for broke and replaced my modem. LOL.

We did teach the kids how to build a desktop. The eldest still has a working knowledge.

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
I miss the days of building computers learning to overclock and keeping things cool with fans only. Pre water cooler systems, pre gaming computers and mouses, pre high speed internet, all were mechanical keyboards and most of all...LAN parties!

I was feeling the itch lately, think in the next few months I want to build a gaming computer. My iMac for photo editing and web viewing, the PC for gaming only.

Ahhhh! The joy of building and upgrading a system. The first time I replaced a video card I went for broke and replaced my modem. LOL.

We did teach the kids how to build a desktop. The eldest still has a working knowledge.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
38 next week, female, 38mm SS with Milanese loop. Also, I did start on these forums almost exactly 12 years ago, so I would say that the forum goers aren't getting younger, us old-timers are just getting older.

P.S. Our first household computer was an Apple IIgs, which is what I wrote papers on until we got a 386 dx33 and had to write papers on word perfect for DOS for a while.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Barely turned 18 in March, going for an :apple: Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray with Black band, second option is a Sport 42mm Silver with White band. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.