Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I love my Apple Watch, however, I am hoping someone can explain why it is giving me completely wrong numbers for steps and distance. Like today so far it has me as walking 2,818 steps and the distance as 1.62 miles. Well that is impossible. 4,224 steps (according to Siri) is a mile. So my watch is WAY off. Now I also know it uses my iPhone 6 to determine distance and all that. Am a looking at a defective watch or what? Is there a way to calibrate the Watch and the iPhone? Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance for your help!

:apple:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Not sure were WolframAlpha came up with that number but it is way off. In order for that to be accurate you would have to step only about 14" with each step. That would be just about heal to toe for a mile. 2000 (or a little more) steps per mile is a much more accurate approximation, especially if walking briskly (your stride length increases) .

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
So my Watch is actually pretty accurate then? See, I was just going by what Siri said how many steps were a mile so I was all thrown off thinking something was wrong with the Watch or my iPhone's accelerometer.

So you guys think I am alright? Also, thank you for the quick responses!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....So you guys think I am alright? Also, thank you for the quick responses!

Alright in what way? 1.62 miles is a good start for the early morning. However you should end the day with around 5 miles PLUS 30 minutes of exercise minimum.

Here is where I stand right now for the day at 7:21PM.

The reason my number of steps are low is because I ran 6 miles. Running = about 1300 steps per mile.

IMG_0551_zpsbc0c0e6q.jpg

EDIT: Found a good ACSM pdf on step count calculations.

http://www.yamaxx.com/digi/m-magazine/ACSM_Health&FitnessJournal.pdf

Last edited:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
No, I meant alright as in my Watch is recording my steps/distance correctly. As I stated before, when Siri told me that 4,000+ steps is a mile and my Activity App was telling me a little over 2,000+ steps was a mile and change I was thinking my Watch was not working correctly.

I did find this on Apple's website, on how to calibrate:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.