Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hexagenia

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire
I bought a refurbished 38mm SS SB from Best Buy and attempted to activate it on Verizon. Initially, the IMEI of the watch didn't show up in Verizon's tables, but subsequent checking revealed that the watch had been set up on another carrier which now prevented it from being activated on Verizon. Does this sound right? Does AW# lock to the carrier that activates such that it can't be activated on another carrier later?

Looking for help on this question, as it bears not only on my current predicament, but would seem to be important if you planned on selling a device that you had bought unlocked but now wanted to sell.

hexagenia

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire
As far as I know, the watch can be activated on any carrier. It shouldn’t be locked.

That's what I thought. But since it was a Best Buy purchase, I didn't know if it also might be like their iPhones that activate to the first nano-Sim that is inserted and then are locked to that carrier, unless it's Verizon which is essentially unlocked.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) comes in three regional models – Americas, China, and Europe/Asia Pacific.

No, there is not a way to carrier lock an Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular). You just got bad information from Verizon. Call again or stop by BestBuy again and have them properly setup your watch on Verizon. That fact that it had been setup on one of the other 3 US carriers is in this case irrelevant.

Note: It sounds like you got a confused Verizon rep that thinks that only Apple watches sold by Verizon can be activated on Verizon. This confusion was a major issue when the Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular) first shipped in late September. We had numerous reports of customers being told that they need to return a watch that was purchased at BestBuy or even from an Apple store and purchase from the Carrier to activate. This is simply not TRUE!

Dave

hexagenia

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire
Many thanks Dave. I am going to dig in on this one with Verizon. I know how uneven their support is, but I really thought I was talking with a senior engineer. As it is, I have a second watch where I have activated one device to both ATT and Verizon (either/or) and there is no problem. But I do think there is something going on with this watch. Perhaps a plan that is somehow still active on a contracted device that got sent back to Best Buy? It would be just my luck. As always, appreciate your expertise.

charles4515

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
Many thanks Dave. I am going to dig in on this one with Verizon. I know how uneven their support is, but I really thought I was talking with a senior engineer. As it is, I have a second watch where I have activated one device to both ATT and Verizon (either/or) and there is no problem. But I do think there is something going on with this watch. Perhaps a plan that is somehow still active on a contracted device that got sent back to Best Buy? It would be just my luck. As always, appreciate your expertise.

The previous owner has to unpair the watch. They might not have. Best Buy needs to make good.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Well then it is very unlikely that someone went to all that trouble and then returned the watch to BestBuy. I think you might want to go back and reread the original post. It was purchased as a "returned" item at BestBuy, not on a dark corner somewhere from Craig list.

The problem about the IMEI information not showing up for Verizon is common and has been widely discussed here on the forum. AT&T had the same issue. The owner just needs to provide the EID, IMEI information to the carrier.

Note: The ICCID is not available until the eSIM is provisioned during that "Activation" process.

Dave

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Well then it is very unlikely that someone went to all that trouble and then returned the watch to BestBuy. I think you might want to go back and reread the original post. It was purchased as a "returned" item at BestBuy, not on a dark corner somewhere from Craig list.

The problem about the IMEI information not showing up for Verizon is common and has been widely discussed here on the forum. AT&T had the same issue. The owner just needs to provide the EID, IMEI information to the carrier.

Note: The ICCID is not available until the eSIM is provisioned during that "Activation" process.

Dave

Although the retailer should check.. someone could have placed the locked watch in place of the good one inside the box. Seen plenty of shady stuff go down working retail and not always by the customers. Could have been swapped by an employee... or returned by a 'customer' who just wanted a watch with a clean IMEI.

It's ok Dave, it's not just about you. Were all here to help each other.

hexagenia

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
New Hampshire
Although the retailer should check.. someone could have placed the locked watch in place of the good one inside the box. Seen plenty of shady stuff go down working retail and not always by the customers. Could have been swapped by an employee... or returned by a 'customer' who just wanted a watch with a clean IMEI.

It's ok Dave, it's not just about you. Were all here to help each other.

Thanks everyone for the input. The AW3 was never iCloud locked--it was properly signed out. Instead, it looks like the watch may not have properly unpaired from the initial owner's cell contract, and on top of that, the owner is innocently/unknowingly, still paying a contract for a device they no longer own. So something clearly happened with the unpairing and refurbishing process, but still digging in. I know there are a lot of haters, and many reasons to be one, but Best Buy is working with me on this one. I'll update if this mystery takes any more unusual turns.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.