Apple watch case could be practical some times.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Doctor11, Apr 6, 2015.

1. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I know here on the forums a lot of us (myself included) have made fun of Apple watch cases. I just thought of why/when one would be practical. When riding a bike. Think about it your biking and you fall or slip or what not what happens to your bike/ horn/ bell/ whatever's on your bike? It gets torn to ****ing shreds! Now realize this I would not feel comfortable going for a bike ride with an Apple Watch not in a case. Last thing I would want is to scratch the living **** out of it.

Thought, comments? Any other times you could think of you would want to have a case on your watch?
    :)

2. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

Personally, I think it's overkill still. Maybe that's cause I'm getting older and less daring when it comes to action sports ect. If someone wants one to protect their invest during high risk activities then more power to them. I think situational use makes sense, but I'd never wear one at-all-times

3. riotrhythm macrumors regular

riotrhythm

I agree with you! I would get one for hiking, riding a motorcycle, off-roading, etc. It would be an occasional thing though. Definitely not going to keep an unattractive case on it for daily use. People say "LOL why would you put a case on a watch?" remember, this is an Apple product. I wouldn't put a case on a Moto 360 if I were off-roading, but I would put one on the Apple Watch if need be.

4. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I agree. It's just not needed to be worn at all times.

5. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Would you use a case if Apple made a car? How about a Ferrari? Lamborghini? :D

6. sterl320 macrumors 6502

7. riotrhythm macrumors regular

riotrhythm

If it's as fragile as the iPhone 6 Plus, probably :cool:

8. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Only if I was at the risk of crashing or some one hitting my car in the parking lot with their door. :D

9. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I was hit by a car while going about 25kph on my bicycle last November. Watch was not touched. Phone survived just fine. Only thing damaged was the hood on one of my shifters, a small patch of road rash on my elbow that somehow appeared THROUGH my windbreaker without tearing my windbreaker, and a strained/sprained rotator cuff.

But, the watch I was wearing wasn't affected :)

10. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

I used to fall off my bike once or twice a year. I thought it was just because I am clumsy, but I haven't come of my bike in years now, since I realised the bike I was riding was the wrong size for me and got one that was a better fit. Of course, it might be different if I were mountain biking or racing.

I might use a case for a watch if I were doing field work: I'm a river scientist, so there would be plenty of opportunities for a watch to get wet or muddy or knocked by equipment out in the field. Unless the watch came with apps to support that field work, I'd just wear a cheap plastic digital watch instead, but I can imagine several possible apps that would be useful for field work.

11. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

If you wreck your bike, whatever protection was on the watch will probably be destroyed as well. Remember, it has the weight of your body behind it since it is attached. You might get lucky when falling with the phone. It could bounce or skid to safety.

I accept that encasing Apple products is a thing for some reason but in this case I don't think there is much real protection to be had, other than light abrasions.

12. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well I'm not expecting to destroy myself. Just some normal trip and scrape protection. Although you bring up a very good point. Maybe I should look into a beefy case...

13. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

I realize it's wasteful, but I'd rather destroy a watch and pay for a new one or for an AppleCare replacement rather than have a case on a fashion item.

It would be like buying $200 jeans and then putting a plastic slipcover on them. Or killer dress shoes that you cover up. Normal wear and tear will happen imo, and it's part of any fashion/clothing item.

14. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

15. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

LUVVITT now has a steel case for the WATCH:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=beyondthete0c-20&linkId=TWHW2S3WNQTV5N5V

[​IMG]

But I ordered the TPU case instead. This comes with a glass screen protector.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=beyondthete0c-20&linkId=ZNMNCE4Y6KQ4QNV7

[​IMG]

Both are on Amazon and will ship out on the Monday after the WATCH's release, and they're both at $14.99 shipped, a full $10 cheaper than the Spigen line, which doesn't come with a screen protector, let alone a tempered glass one.

16. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

This is nonsense. People, please, do not put a case on your watch. You will be ridiculed endlessly by those around you. Just don't do it. You are paying for a piece of fashion, why cover it??? Remember pocket protectors? Guess what...

17. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Nobody is saying to use the case full time. I don't see why anyone would be against using a case to protect the watch during a potently watch harmful sport. Honesty is anyone even going to notice you put a case on durring your bike ride? Even if they did do you care?

18. cwosigns macrumors 65816

No plans to put a case on mine. For fallback during dangerous activities, I'll have my Pebble (and Apple Care+).

19. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

No, I don't care, but I also don't see the point. I guess my first response would be to wear the watch as intended and loosen up a bit. It's going to scratch. It's an Apple product, it will look worn after a year or two. It's ok, it actually looks better that way.

20. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

You don't fall off your bike often do you? There's a difference from scratched here and there and completely raped by the pavement.

21. venom600 macrumors 6502a

Way to sound insecure. What about those of us that actually like the way the cases look? That spider tough armor case reminds me of the very popular G-Shock watches, some of which sell for more than the Apple watch.

22. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

No I don't. I ride a road bike, and it is preferable to stay upright. If I was a mountain biker, I wouldn't wear a watch when I went.

----------

You can call it insecurity if you like. The cases look ridiculous. It's an Onion article come to life.

23. venom600 macrumors 6502a

It's insecurity when you won't wear it because you are afraid of being ridiculed. If you genuinely believe it looks ridiculous (and I tend to agree), then you shouldn't need confirmation from someone else to choose whether or not to wear it.

That said, I'd buy the case because it changes the look of the watch enough that it isn't likely to be as much of a target of theft. Every thief in big city transit systems is going to know the Apple Watch, but the cheap looking Casio knock off will likely get a pass.

24. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I don't recall saying I was afraid of being ridiculed. I recall saying others will ridicule a watch case wearer. Insecurity or not, the point remains, I would hope people realize this is a watch and it is meant to be used and worn, not pampered and looked at longingly.

And why would you make your expensive look at me watch look like a cheap Casio knock-off? That makes zero sense to me.