Apple Watch Cases from name branded

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by sahilpatel12, Apr 4, 2015.

1. sahilpatel12, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Anyone who puts a case on a watch should not be wearing a watch in the first place.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Where there's a product, there will be accessories.

Big fan of Spigen, but don't intend on rocking a case on my Apple Watch.

4. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Not interested in a case, but I'd love some designer bands that can be purchased from third parties.

5. sahilpatel12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

Well well judging by your answer, it seems like are you paying/buying for my watch? If so then I'll accept it willing more so I'll take that black ss in 42mm to be especially :) thanks.

6. Gooberton macrumors 65816

If you put a case on an apple watch that's a new level of D bag

7. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Pretty sure that people that spend over $1000 on a watch will also get a warranty from Applecare that will replace the watch if accidental damage occurs.

For those that spend $350 to $550 on the watch, maybe a $15 very slim case is enough to feel better about not damaging it?

8. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

9. sahilpatel12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

Not really work in retail where have to get your hands in loading /unloading rolltainers, stock shelfs , run counters and manage floors. That life when you're a manager and you soon realize your all-rounder, does everything in store.

Now you to be specific to your answer: no it's call protecting your watch just like iPhones, now I also don't want to case it but I have to case since there's a lot of bangs and dings that can happen when in working at store in weekends. Now the flip side is I own my own business dealing with golds and melee so when Im there I won't be wearing my case since I don't have to do a lot of hard work like I do in retail just count money and buy crap golds and melee

10. kbuck1984 macrumors member

I don't see a problem with it. The smart watch is relatively new. If one wants a close for it who's to say it's wrong? Some think putting a case on a phone is a dumb idea. Obviously there's going to be a market for it, especially if they can make then thin and attractive.

11. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Just get the sapphire

12. sahilpatel12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

Thought about it but not seeing point in spending that much for something that can possibly be outdated in few years or worst in a year.
    That's why I'm playing safe and getting sport so I can upgrade to gen2 if they comes out with it

----------

if they can take few dings or scratches I'm up for it. Tpu cases have protected my 6plus from drops and scratches till uag came out with there's clear lookings ones

13. sterl320 macrumors 6502

The cases can add another level of customization to the watches, especially when it comes to different colors. I may look into this.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm not spending an extra $200 for a stainless steel casing and Sapphire Crystal only to stick it in a $15.00 plastic case.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

These watch cases are an SNL parody gone real... But should not. It's really absurdity to the highest degree. Maybe if one is doing hand to paw combat with a bear in a cave a cases might be OK to protect the watch for your soon-to-be -heirs.

The only other reason is maybe because bullies pummel one daily against a concrete wall. Although wearing a case on a watch is only going to make them route the guy that much harder. Vicious cycle.

Bottom line: a true friend doesn't let a friend where a case for a watch like granny used to put plastic protective sheets on her furniture. It's just bad form and looks silly.

16. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I knew there would be cases eventually. Just about every Apple product has them so it was inevitable.

In a way it does seem silly to put a watch in a case, but it's an expensive watch made of the same materials as the expensive iPhone I own and keep in a case. On such a small device it might add too much bulk but there is definitely a market for them. I don't know if I would get one but I am already a bit paranoid that I'll get the watch all scratched up. The Spigen Slim case doesn't look that bad to me.

17. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Watches are meant to be worn, not babied. Every scratch you put on it is character, or a memory even. I will laugh, and laugh hard at anyone that puts a case on their watch.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I think you are all being too negative.

When Nokia produced phones years ago with replaceable plastic covers a while industry opened up with thousands and thousands of custom printed plastic shells so that people could personalize their device.

If the shell/cover can be thin and close fitting enough, then I could totally see some people enjoying the fact they can add a custom skin around the watch so they don't all look the same as everyone elses.

Carbon Fiber effect, Stars and Stripes, new colors etc etc.

I know many will hate the concept, but why be boring and want to look the same. Let's make them, and I'm sure some will totally love the idea.

----------

Well, there are things far far dumber that tens of thousands of people already do.

1: Get Tattoo's
    2: Smoke Cigarettes.

I hope you laugh even harder in such dumb people's faces who do either of these things which are FAR worse than a removable little watch cover?

19. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

I guess I could have been more broad. Yes, I laugh at all kinds of stupid things.

20. GrumpyMom, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Actually, it might turn out to be a necessity to people who want the Apple Watch but have allergies to the metals in the alloys that would give them contact dermatitis. Really severely allergic people, and I know a rare few, would not be able to wear or handle the Apple Watch at all, in any of its iterations. Most other allergic people fall along a spectrum and for them and possibly myself, the case might be useful and I would not appreciate being judged a D-bag for using one. I am a lady so I'd be especially adverse to such a crude judgement against myself.

Also, a large part of what I do in the spring and summer months is landscaping and gardening. I hit up against a lot of harsh stones and composite landscaping blocks when I work near or on retaining walls. A case like these might be nice to have on while I'm working. It's been a long time since I've worn a watch except while dressing up for an evening out. I was definitely planning on wearing my Apple Watch while working because it's a pain to always have my huge IPhone jammed into any of the pockets of even my most generously appointed work jeans.

Oh and I don't know how old the folks here commenting are, but I remember back in the 80's Swatch and third parties sold all kinds of snap on guards and edgings to decorate or "protect" the Swatch watches. They were decently popular. These cases remind me of those pieces.

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Actually I was more thinking positively about this from a personification/customization viewpoint as there are people who love to "make the device theirs" so to speak.

Rather than a case to protect it point of view.

Imagine Rubber (like Apple's) straps with custom designs, that came with a matching ultra thin skin that went around the watch body.

I know many here (apple purists) may go YUK at the concept, but I think we can understand there are people, esp the younger folks, who adore personal customization.

I think it could be a reasonably sized market if done well.

You could have, for example a Sport watch with a leather strap and black skin around the body for work wear, but change to a bright orange strap and skin for going to a party, something wild. I could imagine this being popular.

22. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

My Pebble watch is covered in scratches and dings from working, so you can bet your ass I'll be putting protection on my £859 Apple Watch and changing the link band for a rubber one when at work.

It'll be taken off at all other times.

23. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Does a woman put her wedding ring in a case? Do you put a necklace pendant in a case? Do you put a case over your expensive shoes?

Comparing to phone cases is silly. You don't have the phone attached to your body and one drop on a hard surface is sure crush a corner or shatter the screen. The watch might get some scratches. Those who are afraid of shattering the screen, I believe, won't get any real protection from any case or screen film. So you're left with the possibility of some scratches. What about the expensive bands? No cases for those.

24. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

As I said above.

I could see this taking of (for some sections of Apple watch owners) as an additional level of fashion/customization, rather than the protections side of things.

Apple have pushed and pushed and pushed as hard as can be to make this NOT a tech item, but a fashion item, which would make this even more valid as an optional accessory.

You buy your 3rd party straps, and the ultra thin watch skin comes with them, that you can use or discard.

If I was going to enter into the 3rd part strap market, and start to make them, then also including a matching design skin for the watch would certainly be something I would want to do.
    It would cost cents to make, and would give me the edge over others who just made straps.

25. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

You may be the most interested person in the watch, and you aren't even getting one lmao