Apple Watch Celebrates Your Birthday With a Special Message in watchOS 4

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 15, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Among multiple software announcements that came out of WWDC last week, Apple unveiled details about watchOS 4, the newest operating system that will arrive on Apple Watch devices later this fall. As developers spend more time with the watchOS 4 beta, new surprises in the software become uncovered, and now MacRumors forum member mrToasty has come across a previously unseen birthday-related message that Apple has included in watchOS 4.

[​IMG]

On your birthday, Apple will send a "Happy Birthday!" notification to your Apple Watch, and when you tap on it your watch face will be showered with celebratory balloons. The addition looks visually similar to the "Balloons" screen effect that launched in the iOS 10 Messages app last year. You can watch the full Happy Birthday animation in the video below, which was originally posted by David Boyle on YouTube.

Some of the big changes coming in watchOS 4 include a collection of Activity-focused updates with more personalized achievements for the Workout app, and communication features between Apple Watch and compatible gym equipment. There are also enhancements to the Music app, and a new Siri watch face that will dynamically update based on the time of day and your daily routines, and showcase important data from apps like Activity, Alarms, Breathe, Calendar, Maps, Reminders, Wallet, and more.

Check out the MacRumors watchOS 4 roundup for a complete list of everything we know that's coming in the software update.

Article Link: Apple Watch Celebrates Your Birthday With a Special Message in watchOS 4

2. Sunny1990, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

On your birthday,Apple will send a "Happy Birthday!" notification to Apple Watch

WOW! What a nifty feature, i will really like it

3. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Creative. I love my Apple Watch, But I would really like to see more Watch faces than Birthday messages. Just my preference to better the Watch experience.

4. DaveWotzit macrumors member

DaveWotzit

From the UK the Isle of winning at sports *NOT*
    Underwhelming! Why not a Birthday Watch face? Confetti on the hour every hour!

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

It's all these little things....

That keep them from taking care of some of the bigger items.

6. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

7. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

i just want to be able to make my own watch faces with the placement of items where i want.. or at least centered and with better fonts

8. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Or a haptic feedback reminder that it's your birthday you can send out to your friends ;) With confetti and fireworks and balloons.

9. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Care to expand on that? How about every watch update has made the watch better with efficiency, battery life, added functionality with the Airpods, etc. That Seems like that's a 'Bigger item' on its own.

The First generation Apple Watch is running three times what it was when It first launched back in 2015. The Apple Watch is the best smart watch on the market from my experiences and the compatibility with iPhone seamless.

10. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Adding to your point, the optimizations they do with each watchOS update regarding battery life is tremendous, something you don't see with iOS very often.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

12. jonblatho macrumors 6502

jonblatho

13. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Technically, it can, where Apple Pay is accepted.

14. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

I tend to agree. Seems you need to ask it to celebrate you by swiping and tapping. I love the idea of confetti on the hour every hour.

15. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

Darn, I just had my birthday last week so I won't get that until next year now.

16. Whimseh macrumors member

17. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Great, my watch will encourage me to eat cake. Then it will nag me to breathe. Then when I can't inhale because my jeans are too tight, my Watch will nag me to go burn some calories. It's like being married.

18. epca12 macrumors regular

This is cool, the Apple Watch seems to be getting more personal very often

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I mean, actually buys me a drink. Apple Pay as in Apple pays!

20. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

It was a mistake to read this thread. Now I can't stop thinking about birthday cake. I guess I had better go to work closing my exercise rings. :(

21. JohnApples macrumors 65816

What this birthday message needs is a birthday challenge, complete with a nifty little medal that can only be earned on your special day.

22. Col4bin, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

Creepy.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 15, 2017 ---
    Why couldn't this "feature" be built into all of our OSX and iOS devices???
    --- Post Merged, Jun 15, 2017 ---
    Just change your birthday in settings, then switch it back. Cheesy, yes (but then again so is this feature.)

23. csurfr macrumors 6502

That's a pretty neat idea. You should submit that!

24. c3pa macrumors member

25. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

AND a button to let them buy stuff on your birthday list with one click!