Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I just got the cellular version of the watch this weekend. Everything looks to be setup correctly, but it appears that the WiFi never turns off which seems to be killing the battery. Even if I go into the control center on the watch and turn it off it comes back on a little while later.

My phone is not connected to any WiFi at the moment. Am I looking at this wrong? I am assuming that when the WiFi icon is blue it means that it is connected to WiFi. It seems like the battery is draining quite a bit faster when the WiFi is enabled. My phone is within range of the watch currently, but the WiFi still says its on.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I just got the cellular version of the watch this weekend. Everything looks to be setup correctly, but it appears that the WiFi never turns off which seems to be killing the battery. Even if I go into the control center on the watch and turn it off it comes back on a little while later.

My phone is not connected to any WiFi at the moment. Am I looking at this wrong? I am assuming that when the WiFi icon is blue it means that it is connected to WiFi. It seems like the battery is draining quite a bit faster when the WiFi is enabled. My phone is within range of the watch currently, but the WiFi still says its on.

The toggle switch isn’t really needed, it’s not connected to Wi-fi unless the symbol above the mobile icon shows a Wi-fi symbol.

Normally it shows a phone icon, meaning you’re connected via Bluetooth to your iPhone.

Your phone will only try Wi-fi if you lose Bluetooth.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Yes you are looking at it slightly wrong. The normal behavior of the Wi-Fi Icon in the watch's control center is for it to be Blue, indicating that Wi-Fi is ready to connect if needed if you exceed Bluetooth range from your paired iPhone.

The current connection status is in the top left of the watch's control center: Green outline box indicates that you have an active Bluetooth connection between your watch and your paired iPhone. Blue Wi-Fi waves with the SSID of the current Wi-Fi connection. Red x is disconnected from all radio sources. Green dots are an active LTE connection. White dots indicate that an LTE connection is being established.

When you toggle the Wi-Fi button off it is just temporary and the watch temporarily disconnects from the Wi-Fi network. The cellular connection activates if you have coverage. When you leave and later return to the place where you were connected to Wi-Fi, Apple Watch automatically joins that network again unless you’ve forgotten it on your iPhone.

Note: Your watch can also use Wi-Fi without your iPhone needing to be connected to Wi-Fi.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.