Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
What is different about the charger for my series 2 Apple Watch that neither of my series 0 Apple Watches will charge from it? One says I have to update the software and the other Watch says the charger isn't supported. It charges my new watch just fine.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Likely the new puck has an updated proprietary chip in it that is only compatible with wOS 3>. So you need to update your S0s to wOS 3 to use it.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
So weird. Now one of the watches is saying it can't use the one it came with?! Trying to update the two old watches to os 3 and this is not going very smoothly!;)

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Restart it and then it should work and update smoothly.
I did that right away and it didn't make a difference. I am hoping it is charging even though it says it isn't. It is stuck on the pairing screen while it updates as I was also pairing it to a different phone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What is different about the charger for my series 2 Apple Watch that neither of my series 0 Apple Watches will charge from it? One says I have to update the software and the other Watch says the charger isn't supported. It charges my new watch just fine.

That is interesting. I'm also wondering it if has to do with the Apple Watch 2 having a larger battery to draw more power, in which case the Gen 1 Watch's charger is different in the sense of power being distributed.

aloecool

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
I did that right away and it didn't make a difference. I am hoping it is charging even though it says it isn't. It is stuck on the pairing screen while it updates as I was also pairing it to a different phone.

Mine did the same thing during the update, but now that it's updated to os3, haven't seen the msg since

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I never even removed my series two charger from the box as my series one charger charged my series two watch just fine.
That is just the opposite of the OP's problem and if my theory is correct (or something similar) that should work just fine.

Last edited:

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
That is just the opposite of the OP's problem and if my theory is correct (or something similar) that should work just fine.

Yes...that is the opposite of my situation. I upgraded a the watches and am hoping they will all charge with the various chargers!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.