Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The watchOS 8.4 release candidate that was seeded to developers and beta testers this morning addresses an ongoing bug that could cause some Apple Watch chargers not to work properly with the Apple Watch.

apple-watch-series-7-aluminum-colors-yellowbg.jpg

Back in December, we reported on a growing number of charging issues that Apple Watch Series 7 owners were facing. Since watchOS 8.3, there have been a number of complaints about third-party chargers not functioning as expected.

For many users, third-party chargers would refuse to charge an Apple Watch Series 7 at all, and some others saw problems where the charger would appear to work normally, and then quit working after a few minutes.

Many of the reports focused on more affordable third-party chargers from Amazon, but there were also complaints about higher-end chargers from brands like Belkin. Some people even had charging issues with Apple's own Apple Watch charging pucks.

According to Apple's release notes for the watchOS 8.4 update, the software specifically fixes a bug that could cause some Apple Watch chargers not to work, suggesting the charging issues will come to an end when watchOS 8.4 sees a release.

Apple seeded the release candidate version today, and the release candidate represents the finished version of the software that will be provided to the public. We could see a watchOS 8.4 release as soon as next week.

Article Link: Apple Watch Charging Bug Fixed in watchOS 8.4 Release Candidate

I've experience this bug myself personally. It was annoying. Glad to see it is finally being fixed. Better late than never.

I reported this last year on December 22nd, 2021. 👇🤙

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I haven’t updated to 8.3 because of this mess. Hope Apple sorts it out!
This was reported way before 8.3

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
How about the bug that makes the screen stay on while on nightstand mode? Since watchOS 8 both my series 4 and my wife’s series 5 will, sometimes, come on and stay on until we remove from charger and place it there again. Never had that issue before watchOS 8.

Reactions: BabaBooey21

Will Co

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2021
United Kingdom
Recently my 6 started to misbehave if I let it run completely flat or down to the last few percent. It won’t charge when placed on the puck until I hard reset it. Could be just my unit of course.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
This was reported way before 8.3
True, but I have seen several posts where problems didn’t begin until the user updated to 8.3. Hence the reason I’m reluctant to leave 8.2.

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
Ever since I bought a MagSafe Duo, my series 4 when on charge will constantly light up and show the charging animation. Super annoying.

Ozid

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
Los Angeles
My S4 would appear to charge for a few minutes and then stop with no warning, leaving me very disappointed when I picked it up. It's done this repeatedly, as described in the post, on the official apple charging cable, plugged into a multiport GaN charger.

Not an S7, but this described my issue:

... and some others saw problems where the charger would appear to work normally, and then quit working after a few minutes.

cdrider

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2012
Apple have really dropped the ball on this. Anything that prohibits charging should be treated at the highest priority and an out of band patch issues ASAP. To make users wait and potentially be without their devices is unconscionable.

bunty07

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
My s4 and my wife’s s7 takes a few seconds before it starts charging for some reason.

Hope the update fixes the issue.

xenitassos

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
My S4 wouldn't charge with the official charger. It was very scary, thought it was hardware. Hope it's finally fixed

Black-Phiyah

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2022
? I guess I just threw away a perfectly good bedside charger.. I upgraded to Watch 8 earlier in the week because it wasn’t charging. I assumed it had something to do with the Watch charging spec was incompatible with older 3rd party chargers??‍♂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.