Apple Watch Competition to Grow as Google Plans Its Own Wearables Following Fitbit Acquisition

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced it plans to release its own "Made by Google" wearables following its $2.1 billion acquisition of fitness tracker maker Fitbit. The deal is expected to close in 2020 pending regulatory approvals.
Over the years, Google has made progress with partners in this space with Wear OS and Google Fit, but we see an opportunity to invest even more in Wear OS as well as introduce Made by Google wearable devices into the market. Fitbit has been a true pioneer in the industry and has created engaging products, experiences and a vibrant community of users. By working closely with Fitbit's team of experts, and bringing together the best AI, software and hardware, we can help spur innovation in wearables and build products to benefit even more people around the world.
Fitbit confirmed that it will continue to support both Android and iOS, and that Fitbit health data will not be used for Google ads.

Article Link: Apple Watch Competition to Grow as Google Plans Its Own Wearables Following Fitbit Acquisition

rictus007

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Nest was an independent project .... until google decided to change that independent status. I guess the same thing will happen here .... no significant change initially and eventually they will use your steps to see how far you are from home and suggest an place to have dinner based on how tire you should be

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I've always thought of FitBit as like what Apple did with the original iPod.

Until recent models that added complexity, it's had a narrow focus, been stylish, and been very simple to use.

When the Apple Watch came out, it was the antithesis of all of that (well you can argue about style). Even the original iPhone didn't launch with an App Store, but the original Apple Watch did.

I like my FitBit over an Apple Watch mainly because of the FitBit app, which also draws a parallel to the original iPod which used iTunes as its hub. If I lose a device or want to check my FitBit data anywhere anyplace, I just log onto fitbit.com or re-download the app, and all of my data is right there. On the other hand, the Apple Health app is sprawling and it's stuck on your one single phone (I think newer OS versions maybe sync it over iCloud?).

The FitBit isn't perfect at pulse, but for me my use is mainly sleep tracking and it's eerily good at that.

I really hope they keep some of the "narrow" original iPod-like models around.

I know the trend has been for all devices to be all-purpose computers, so that may not be in the long-term direction of FitBit now. Still I'm not sure why Google would buy them if it didn't see that appeal, as I don't think that FitBit's "smarter" bands are necessarily what they are most known for.

If I had not known what the future was going to hold post original iPod and you told me in the future there would be one thin band that would track your steps, heart rate, and sleep (FitBit), and one that had a sizeable color display that could run arbitrary applications and used a couple of buttons and loaded apps off of a connected cell phone, I would have guessed the first device was made by Apple and the second made by Microsoft. I wouldn't have thought of Google being involved at all. But here we are. To me the FitBit is still the most Apple-like product in this category despite it not at all being an Apple product.

nathan_reilly

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
I loved my fitbit charge HR until it got stuck boot looping...And that was my third replacement due to repeated issues with the adhesive failing to hold the rubber outer in place around the screen.

Reactions: mech986

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
FitBit will probably benefit a lot from having more resources behind it.

OTOH, personally, no matter how much cash and marketing Alphabet puts behind FitBit, it's just never going to compete, if only because among tech giants Google is near the bottom in terms of how much I trust their privacy policies. (Facebook would be lower by a decent margin, but that's not saying anything.)

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Nest was an independent project .... until google decided to change that independent status. I guess the same thing will happen here .... no significant change initially and eventually they will use your steps to see how far you are from home and suggest an place to have dinner based on how tire you should be
Well Nest is now advertised as "Google Nest" so anything is possible.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
The synopsis pretty clearly says Google wants Android Wear Made By Google watches, so I think Fitbit is likely dead.

Reactions: dan110