Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Watch remained the world's most popular smartwatch by a significant margin last quarter, with an estimated 35.8 percent market share during the January-March period, according to Counterpoint Research. In other words, one in every three smartwatches shipped last quarter was an Apple Watch.

apple-watch-trio-2019.jpg

Samsung was a distant second with an estimated 11.1 percent market share last quarter, although that is up from 7.2 percent one year prior.

Apple Watch shipments increased 49 percent last quarter year-over-year, according to Counterpoint Research, but no specific numbers were provided. Apple has never disclosed Apple Watch sales, but its "Wearables, Home, and Accessories" category set a new March quarter revenue record of $5.1 billion.

counterpoint-1q19-smartwatches-800x466.jpg

Counterpoint Research's latest Consumer Lens survey found that ECG functionality on Series 4 models is the Apple Watch's most desirable feature. Apple recently expanded the ECG app to 19 European countries and Hong Kong.

While estimates can vary, it is clear that the Apple Watch continues to dominate the smartwatch market as it celebrates its fourth anniversary.

Article Link: Apple Watch Continues to Dominate With Estimated 1 in 3 Share of Smartwatch Sales Last Quarter

AngerDanger

macrumors 603
Dec 9, 2008
Actually, that's not possible. The Apple Watch is too bulky. It needs to be round. It's like they just shrunk the original iPhone design down. It's just another solution in search of a problem. What can it do that your smartphone can't? etc.

;)

EDIT: I never realized how much that watch face on the left looks like a virtual broken screen.

Apple-Watch-Screen-Smash.gif

Last edited:
Comment

Suttree

Suspended
Jul 21, 2018
Wow, look at Samsung’s growth. Incredible. This is what happens when you combine powerful engineering with sublime design. Round face, skeuomorphic design is what people want on a watch.

Comment

code-m

macrumors 68020
Apr 13, 2006
Geez...33% of not much is still not much...Yes, Apple is the dominant player in this market, however, like tablets the jury is still as to when the masses will buy them.

When an accessory cost as much as a smartphone it is not targeted yet for the masses. I am wondering now if Apple is purposely raising iPhone prices to position the Apple Watch as an affordable accessory, hmm makes one think.
[doublepost=1556809953][/doublepost]
The Series 4 watch is the single thing that is compelling to me to switch to Apple, and that being because of the advanced heart features.

Still maturing, interesting how many sensors can be incorporated into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TComm and atmuris
Comment

vixster1901

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Not that I am a denier, however, I see so many people wearing other smartwatches...

Comment

code-m

macrumors 68020
Apr 13, 2006
Wow, look at Samsung’s growth. Incredible. This is what happens when you combine powerful engineering with sublime design. Round face, skeuomorphic design is what people want on a watch.

Still find the rounded square odd for a watch, maybe a rounded and curved rectangle.

Comment

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Apple really should make an Apple Watch app for Android. Google has a Wear OS app for iPhone, so why not?

I know Apple see's the Apple Watch as another device to lock you in to buying iPhones, but it could also be that gateway device that brings users over from Android. Sort of like when the iPod gained support for Windows PCs.

Comment

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
Actually, that's not possible. The Apple Watch is too bulky. It needs to be round. It's like they just shrunk the original iPhone design down. It's just another solution in search of a problem. What can it do that your smartphone can't? etc.

;)

These are the exact reason why I don‘t need to carry my iPhone around anymore since I got my Series 4! :D

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Not that I am a denier, however, I see so many people wearing other smartwatches...

There is cheaper options, yes. Fitbit is still a player with cheaper options that offer just simple fitness tracking, and sometimes that is all consumers want from a smart watch.

However, Once I think someone experiences the Apple Watch, they see the integration, the expansive health features that can be more ‘in tune’ to what they want specifically for their workouts, Apple Pay is seamless to use without having your iPhone, those are selling features that really boasts the Apple Watch when somebody has the chance to use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bevsb2
Comment

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
Samsung was in the watch market 2 years before Apple and just now crossed 10%. That's not due to anything really special on their part. More like, it's one product they haven't screwed up and smaller players on the Android side are giving up.

Reactions: fourthtunz
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Samsung was in the watch market 2 years before Apple and just now crossed 10%. That's not due to anything really special on their part. More like, it's one product they haven't screwed up and smaller players on the Android side are giving up.

Samsung makes a nice product with decent hardware standards. But they don’t compete with the Apple Watch in terms of the health features, that’s where consumers are investing their time to better themselves through health features that are available to them, which Apple has expanded on with EKG, a variety of workouts, the heart rate monitor has improved. The word is out, if you want a smart watch being more than just a notification device, the Apple Watch is the clear choice for health monitoring.

(Also, but if someone is an android user, then an android wearable-device would likely be the obvious choice or vice versa for the iPhone/Apple Watch.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Agit21
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.