Apple Watch Continues to Dominate With Estimated 1 in 3 Share of Smartwatch Sales Last Quarter

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 2, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Watch remained the world's most popular smartwatch by a significant margin last quarter, with an estimated 35.8 percent market share during the January-March period, according to Counterpoint Research. In other words, one in every three smartwatches shipped last quarter was an Apple Watch.

[​IMG]

Samsung was a distant second with an estimated 11.1 percent market share last quarter, although that is up from 7.2 percent one year prior.

Apple Watch shipments increased 49 percent last quarter year-over-year, according to Counterpoint Research, but no specific numbers were provided. Apple has never disclosed Apple Watch sales, but its "Wearables, Home, and Accessories" category set a new March quarter revenue record of $5.1 billion.

[​IMG]

Counterpoint Research's latest Consumer Lens survey found that ECG functionality on Series 4 models is the Apple Watch's most desirable feature. Apple recently expanded the ECG app to 19 European countries and Hong Kong.

While estimates can vary, it is clear that the Apple Watch continues to dominate the smartwatch market as it celebrates its fourth anniversary.

Article Link: Apple Watch Continues to Dominate With Estimated 1 in 3 Share of Smartwatch Sales Last Quarter

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Not surprised. Apple Watch 4 is definitely one of the best Apple products I've ever owned.

3. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

after an extensive research into smart watch and now owning a series 4 44mm, i can see why apple watch are so popular. too bad there is no android app else this would sell alot more

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Outstanding. Wearables is the future for Apple and the watch is paving the way for health features. It will only continue to flourish from here, Bring on Series 5.

5. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

The failure* that wasn't.

*according to the internet

6. AngerDanger, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Actually, that's not possible. The Apple Watch is too bulky. It needs to be round. It's like they just shrunk the original iPhone design down. It's just another solution in search of a problem. What can it do that your smartphone can't? etc.

;)

EDIT: I never realized how much that watch face on the left looks like a virtual broken screen.

Apple-Watch-Screen-Smash.gif

7. pike908 macrumors member

Geez...33% of not much is still not much...Yes, Apple is the dominant player in this market, however, like tablets the jury is still as to when the masses will buy them.

8. JLD94 macrumors member

The Series 4 watch is the single thing that is compelling to me to switch to Apple, and that being because of the advanced heart features.

9. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

Wow, look at Samsung’s growth. Incredible. This is what happens when you combine powerful engineering with sublime design. Round face, skeuomorphic design is what people want on a watch.

10. code-m, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019

code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

When an accessory cost as much as a smartphone it is not targeted yet for the masses. I am wondering now if Apple is purposely raising iPhone prices to position the Apple Watch as an affordable accessory, hmm makes one think.
    --- Post Merged, May 2, 2019 ---
    Still maturing, interesting how many sensors can be incorporated into it.

11. vixster1901 macrumors regular

vixster1901

Not that I am a denier, however, I see so many people wearing other smartwatches...

12. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Still find the rounded square odd for a watch, maybe a rounded and curved rectangle.

13. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Apple really should make an Apple Watch app for Android. Google has a Wear OS app for iPhone, so why not?

I know Apple see's the Apple Watch as another device to lock you in to buying iPhones, but it could also be that gateway device that brings users over from Android. Sort of like when the iPod gained support for Windows PCs.

14. PickUrPoison macrumors 601

The wearables category, which exceeded iPad revenue for FY19Q2, will soon overtake the Mac as well to become the largest revenue source after iPhone. Both the AirPods and Watch are relatively new products, and they’re running $20+billion a year with lots of room for growth. Not bad.

15. Joniz macrumors regular

Funny how no one gave a flip about their heart before the AW 4. Otherwise, they woulda been treating them better.

16. Scooz macrumors 6502

These are the exact reason why I don‘t need to carry my iPhone around anymore since I got my Series 4! :D

17. Relentless Power, May 2, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There is cheaper options, yes. Fitbit is still a player with cheaper options that offer just simple fitness tracking, and sometimes that is all consumers want from a smart watch.

However, Once I think someone experiences the Apple Watch, they see the integration, the expansive health features that can be more ‘in tune’ to what they want specifically for their workouts, Apple Pay is seamless to use without having your iPhone, those are selling features that really boasts the Apple Watch when somebody has the chance to use it.

18. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

19. Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

Samsung was in the watch market 2 years before Apple and just now crossed 10%. That's not due to anything really special on their part. More like, it's one product they haven't screwed up and smaller players on the Android side are giving up.

20. simonmet macrumors 68020

simonmet

It seems to be about the fourth version of Apple products when they hit that next level. By the 10th they’re pretty mature. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the trajectory we see for the watch as well.

21. Relentless Power, May 2, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Samsung makes a nice product with decent hardware standards. But they don’t compete with the Apple Watch in terms of the health features, that’s where consumers are investing their time to better themselves through health features that are available to them, which Apple has expanded on with EKG, a variety of workouts, the heart rate monitor has improved. The word is out, if you want a smart watch being more than just a notification device, the Apple Watch is the clear choice for health monitoring.

(Also, but if someone is an android user, then an android wearable-device would likely be the obvious choice or vice versa for the iPhone/Apple Watch.)

22. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I feel naked without my Apple Watch. Series 4 is a beast compared to the old Series 0 I had before. It's so useful now.

23. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors regular

IRockThat828pScreen

[​IMG]

That Focus face on the right is so sleek and futuristic

24. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Seconded, an awesome piece of tech that is now a party of my normal daily routine.

25. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Imagine how much more it would dominate if it had a second hand on the digital face. ;-)