Apple Watch "Crown" color matched with bands?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mazda 3s, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

Take a look at the Apple Watch Edition on this page:

http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch-edition/

The cap of the "crown" is color matched with the bands. Seems like it could get really tacky if you use a different style/color band.

2. JaJaWa macrumors 6502

JaJaWa

I think they are planning to sell the watches with the band included so looks like you're not really meant to mix-and-match. Maybe they won't even sell seperate bands? :confused:

3. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

I thought the whole point of the release mechanism on the watch was so that you could quickly and easily change the bands to fit the occasion?

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you can afford to drop 4k on one of those solid 18K gold edition sets, you'll probably not want to change the band.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Looks like the color match on the crown is only on the "watch edition", which will be considerably more expensive because of the 18k gold case. The cheaper Watch and Watch sport have crowns that match the case (silver, or black)
    (I'm thinking the edition will "know" which band is attached, and adjust the crown itself automagically… Apple may still be working on THAT technology, just my theory - which might be incorrect :D )

6. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Yeah, it seems it's only an issue on the gold version, which will have a specific clientele. If this watch is solid 18K, it's going to be thousands of dollars.

7. solo118 macrumors 65816

It just seems like alot of extra work. Now instead of 4 models (rose gold, yellow gold both in either 38mm or 42mm) now there are many more models that you have to choose the crown color. I am hoping they are just swappable.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

At this early stage it may just be unique to the mockup. There will be enough versions to carry without making several crown colors.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Maybe not…
    It's possible that the crown cap is easily replaceable, and accessory bands include the coordinated cap.

Or, with several months likely before the _real_ watch is sold, perhaps accessory bands, and some other changes are just not yet finalized.

10. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

My money is on user-replaceable crown cap if indeed it is in the final product.

Seems like something they could easily forego without anyone really caring.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I believe we have a winner. Plausible with accessory $.

12. Peepo macrumors 6502a

13. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

The color-matched Digital Crown is unique to the Edition line. The Edition-exclusive straps will be sold with the corresponding Watch (as with all other Watches). This allows Apple to create Watch Edition casings that are color-matched to their respective straps.

Apple is clearly not going to such lengths for non-Edition models. There is no reason to believe the Digital Crown or its cap will be easily replaceable.