Apple Watch Dead pixels

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jamesjingyi, Feb 29, 2016.

1. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

So I have had an Apple Watch SS for about half a year now and I just noticed a few dead pixels in the corner. I therefore just called Apple Support and they said that they would send out a box to send it back for repair/replacement. I have also had an issue with the watch not recognising my wrist. This all happened in a matter of hours between each other. I checked yesterday and the dead pixels seem to be spreading and have got quite large now. It almost looks like a burn, but I haven't misused the watch at all. Anyway I just thought I'd post some pics. Do OLED dead pixels usually spread? Also, do you think this is covered by the 1§ year warranty? Gonna be quite annoyed if it isn't.

Attached Files:

2. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Like you said, you haven't misused it. If they don't cover that under the warranty, whoo boy I'd be pi$$ed. That's pretty nasty, I clicked on this expecting pixels, but that's more like a ploxel.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That is water damage from a poorly glued or affixed :apple:Watch face. OLEDs are very susceptible to damage from even a small amount of water. It is a manufacture defect and is covered under warranty.

4. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Great, thank you. I didn't realise it was due to water. Do you think that they will say it was misuse if it is though? Surely it's water damage?

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's rated IPX7 (waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes) so they are not going to claim misuse on your part and it'll be replaced under warranty.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, a manufacture defect is NOT misuse.

7. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Thank you everyone, looking forward to getting a new (or fixed) Apple Watch ! :)

8. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Just a note --

If they replace it, make sure you delete the previous one from your iCloud account. Check the serial numbers to be sure which is which.

9. aloecool macrumors regular

The same thing happened to my friend, and he walked into an Apple store and got it replaced without any problems.

10. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Ok will do. Just a thought though, since the box for my old watch and the new watch have different serial numbers, will this be a problem if I take it back again or exchange it?

11. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

The box shouldn't matter; it's the number of the watch they'd want. You could probably black out the box's number with a pen.