Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cao87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Hi I’m new to this forum and I have a lot of questions
Because I’m looking at getting a Watch
1. Is there a big difference between series 3 and 4 and which one should I get
2. My battery on my phone is a year old and slowly going (the maximum capacity is only at 99%) is still worth getting.
3. Should I go with the Apple Watch bands or are the amazon bands any good
4. I work in a warehouse is there a case that is worth getting

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
My suggestion would be to wait for series 5, which will be better than series 4 in some ways for sure.

Apple Watch band is ok whether you buy it from Apple or from amazon, as long as it is for the right size.

If you are working in a warehouse, wear a shirt with long sleeves or not wearing it at all.

Your iPhone battery status is irrelevant.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Hi I’m new to this forum and I have a lot of questions
Because I’m looking at getting a Watch
1. Is there a big difference between series 3 and 4 and which one should I get
2. My battery on my phone is a year old and slowly going (the maximum capacity is only at 99%) is still worth getting.
3. Should I go with the Apple Watch bands or are the amazon bands any good
4. I work in a warehouse is there a case that is worth getting

1. Yes. 4 is better in pretty every which way.

2. Your iPhone battery is still optimal.

3. If you have the cash, then getting authentic APPLE watch bands (whether at store or on Amazon) is the way to go. Quality of 3rd party bands can be pretty bad depending on who you buy from.

4. I would not get a case for the Watch. You can but it does take away from the aesthetic of it.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I bought my Series 3 last June (to get cellular and to replace my Series 0). I chose not to wait for the Series 4. My Series 3 is a dream and my most used and most valued piece of tech. Get what you need that fits your budget and your needs. You won't be disappointed in either. There will always be something newer and "better" down the road.

Reactions: staggerlee41

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
In the warehouse, you could also wear a wrist band over the watch to keep it from getting damaged.

Reactions: artfossil

trinec

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2019
I bought my Series 3 last June (to get cellular and to replace my Series 0). I chose not to wait for the Series 4. My Series 3 is a dream and my most used and most valued piece of tech. Get what you need that fits your budget and your needs. You won't be disappointed in either. There will always be something newer and "better" down the road.

****, same here. Upgraded from Series 0 to Series 3 - but I had for a weekend Series 3 and Series 4 to compare. Bigger screen, hm ok - I can read the time even on the small one. EKG, Health, Breathing, Standup & Activity reminders - first things I disabled to not get annoyed about any notifications. I'm running daily over 10km after weightlifting - at this point I just relay on my Polar - just even for my rest hours/days after competitions. My only reason for upgrade from Series 0 has been LTE to be available in urgent cases...

trinec

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2019
For me, NOISE app in the WatchOS6 is a killer feature....
what will change for you, except of it's loud?

Edit: Are you goring to tell your company that it's too loud and you're leaving? :D

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I work in a warehouse is there a case that is worth getting

You might want to consider a SS version with Sapphire. I bang my SS watch a lot and have never had any issues or scratches. But I don't work in a warehouse environment ....

Reactions: Resqu2

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
3. If you have the cash, then getting authentic APPLE watch bands (whether at store or on Amazon) is the way to go. Quality of 3rd party bands can be pretty bad depending on who you buy from.
But material choice is limited, plus the price is always premium. For me, I can no longer get a woven nylon band from Apple because they stopped selling it. But I like this material over sports loop or sports band because it is much easier for my skin. Now I have no choice but to go for third party bands.
[doublepost=1561257851][/doublepost]
what will change for you, except of it's loud?

Edit: Are you goring to tell your company that it's too loud and you're leaving? :D
Isn’t being aware of loudness around your working environment a good thing to have? Or you are ok to not be able to hear anything at all because your ear is permanently damaged from loud noise?

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
But material choice is limited, plus the price is always premium. For me, I can no longer get a woven nylon band from Apple because they stopped selling it. But I like this material over sports loop or sports band because it is much easier for my skin. Now I have no choice but to go for third party bands.

yeah, in that case, you have no choice. But on bands that is currently available, i rather pay the premium for Apple bands which generally have better materials and better fit/durability.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Go for Series 4 or wait for the next version (people are guessing September/October, but no one really knows but Apple).

Apple branded watch bands are generally of very high quality. 3rd party can be hit or miss. I have some good ones, but also went through a bunch of bad ones.

Be aware that I don’t think anyone would call the Apple Watch particularly durable. Warehouse work might be a rough environment for one. I think Spigen makes some tougher cases, though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would wait 2-3 months for series 5

Yup. And that’s when ‘Buyers remorse’ starts to set in, once someone purchases an Apple Watch 4 now, when the new one will launch in approximately two months assumingely. And the other side of this, is the Apple Watch will start seeing more discounts as the summer progresses, because retailers will prepare/expect a new Series 5 launch in September.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I upgraded from a S3 to a S4 with zero regrets. The screen increase of 30% would be enough for me even though there were many other improvements. I bought a $12 Orobay band on Amazon and it looks/feels great. I've had people think it's the one made by Apple.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
1. Yes. 4 is better in pretty every which way.

4. I would not get a case for the Watch. You can but it does take away from the aesthetic of it.

I've bought some very well made watchbands off Amazon with major $$$ savings from Apple's ridiculous pricing.

Since the person works in a warehouse, if Apple watch must be worn while working, IMO some type of case will help minimize the scratching etc that's certain to occur. Preferably, I'd buy another cheaper/more rugged watch for work and just wear my Apple watch outside of work.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
1. Is there a big difference between series 3 and 4 and which one should I get. Wait for the 5 unless you need a watch right now then get a 4.
2. My battery on my phone is a year old and slowly going (the maximum capacity is only at 99%) is still worth getting. Battery is fine, near new.
3. Should I go with the Apple Watch bands or are the amazon bands any good. I always vouch for Apple bands because of their quality and you can find them for great prices on eBay sometimes (unless they are rare).
4. I work in a warehouse is there a case that is worth getting. I say get a case for work but outside of work without a case looks more aesthetically pleasing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.