Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
For those that have had a previous watch and sold or traded in what, was your cost per year for the watch? Seems like the stainless model depreciates way faster than the Aluminum and you can’t recoup any of the excess cost in resale.

Curious others experience to see if this is true.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Sadly, this is very true. I’ve sold two stainless steel Apple watches, and I’ve lost over 50% of their cost both times. Even Apple only offers $25 more, I think, for a trade in of the stainless steel over the aluminum.

Reactions: jbachandouris

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Sadly, this is very true. I’ve sold two stainless steel Apple watches, and I’ve lost over 50% of their cost both times. Even Apple only offers $25 more, I think, for a trade in of the stainless steel over the aluminum.

%50 after a year, or did you keep them longer?

Jasonstevens

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
I had a hardware issue with mine and demanded apple give me a refund so I received the full $1000 back for my Apple Watch SS. The good thing about living in a country with consumer laws.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I believe I sold my AW1 for $200 earlier this year. It's been awhile. Don't remember the exact price. I haven't researched what my celluar Space Black SS AW3 with the Milanese band is worth. What do you guys (and girls :) ) think? :) I'm going to guess $400-$500? Probably closer to $400. if we're looking at a 50% depreciation.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I believe I sold my AW1 for $200 earlier this year. It's been awhile. Don't remember the exact price. I haven't researched what my celluar Space Black SS AW3 with the Milanese band is worth. What do you guys (and girls :) ) think? :) I'm going to guess $400-$500? Probably closer to $400. if we're looking at a 50% depreciation.

People want a steal on them. I tried to sell my Milanese loop band and ended up getting $25 more on my selling price for my SS Series 2.

I’d bet $400 would be the highest you’d get. Truthfully, you might only get high 300s.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
I paid just under 50% of original cost for my SS Apple Watch 2 Milanese with Apple care after 1 year. I plan do same with a 4 next year. I can not justify ever buying an Apple Watch new

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
So if you only keep for a year your depreciation of a SS model is probably $350/yr, and $200/yr for a sport model. If you keep them for 2 years its probably $262/yr SS and $150/yr for sport. Assuming %50 depreciation year over year.

I used to be a serial (yearly) iPhone upgrader on the upgrade plan, however I am rethinking that strategy and may just stagger my upgrades phone/watch.. I think it will work out about the same yearly cost of depreciation I would just have to get past paying $1400 for 2 watches since I can't buy my wife a Sport and an SS for myself...

Thanks for the info everybody!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Seems like the stainless model depreciates way faster than the Aluminum and you can’t recoup any of the excess cost in resale.
The issue as I see it is that when people are looking to buy a used product, a laptop, phone, watch. They're being price conscience. Yes they want a quality product but they don't want to pay a lot - less demand means lower pricing.

The same goes for the SS watch, its a higher end product that does exactly the same thing as the ALU model, most people wanting an Apple Watch and going the used route will not be willing to pay a high price for the SS so there's a downward pressure on the price.

PeterJH3

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2017
Atlanta, GA
No one wants to pay high prices on anything used now. Marketplace on Facebook and Craigslist are still common. OfferUp I've used, too. I sold my GOLD Apple Watch 3 with LTE for only $225. Listed it at 300 at first and ppl low-balled like crazy. Just how it is anymore...

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I've been lucky when I've sold a lot of my used Apple products. Friends know I really take care of my stuff so most of them buy what I have after I upgrade. I prices things reasonably. Not to cheap but then feeling confident buying it from someone they know and can trust has value.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I sold my series 2 single tour Hermes for $850 today. I paid $1200 for it. Value wise it held great

Reactions: Cigsm

cgpd7507

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2018
The watch surely isn't holding its value and seems harder to sell too. I've had my SSSB listed on Swappa for the past week with box, unused charger and in excellent condition and I haven't got one inquiry. My Macbook Pro and Iphones sell within 3 days. I now have it on OfferUp for $385 and I got one offer for $280 so far.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
For SS yes 50% for 1yr usage with applecare...
But now S4 is big improvement its harder to sell everybody wants bigger screen and slimmer watch...

Watch is harder to sell than the phones.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For SS yes 50% for 1yr usage with applecare...
But now S4 is big improvement its harder to sell everybody wants bigger screen and slimmer watch...

Watch is harder to sell than the phones.

I would agree with the bolded, especially with the last three years of having the same design, but this year if someone decides to resell their Apple Watch, it should be a lot easier, especially now that Apple has a new design, new health aspects, I think the resale value will still suffer, but should be more lucrative to sell it faster for those who want to upgrade to the new model for a discount.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I must not be in the norm, but Series 4 is my 4th SS Apple Watch - and I’ve sold my previous ones every year, for roughly 70% of what it cost me when it was new.

I see it mentioned many times that the SS depreciates very fast, at least 50%, but I’ve sold 3 now and none were close to that low.
[doublepost=1537610118][/doublepost]
I would agree with the bolded, especially with the last three years of having the same design, but this year if someone decides to resell their Apple Watch, it should be a lot easier, especially now that Apple has a new design, new health aspects, I think the resale value will still suffer, but should be more lucrative to sell it faster for those who want to upgrade to the new model for a discount.

Funny, I’ve had the opposite experience recently. I was guessing that it was due to a low supply of Apple Watch in my area, and it generally being something new that people are picking up on. Also compared to iPhones they’re less dollars in absolute price. I’m in Canada though, wonder if that affects it at all.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Funny, I’ve had the opposite experience recently. I was guessing that it was due to a low supply of Apple Watch in my area, and it generally being something new that people are picking up on. Also compared to iPhones they’re less dollars in absolute price. I’m in Canada though, wonder if that affects it at all.

So what I did, I knew or at least was under the impression a new Apple Watch would be coming this September, I sold my previous Apple Watches months back knowingly that the resale value would certainly drop once the rumors started to increase as we approached August, and you’re going to have have those who put their used Apple Watches up for sale all at the same time on the used market. I was able to actually accrue a decent profit without waiting last minute, which most seemingly seem to do when selling tech devices.

Reactions: profets

Jamesk811

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2015
Bought brand new series 3 for $500 through online classifieds site, paid $79 Apple care. Sold my series 3 after one year for $480. So lost $99. Not bad in my eyes

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
So what I did, I knew or at least was under the impression a new Apple Watch would be coming this September, I sold my previous Apple Watches months back knowingly that the resale value would certainly drop once the rumors started to increase as we approached August, and you’re going to have have those who put their used Apple Watches up for sale all at the same time on the used market. I was able to actually accrue a decent profit without waiting last minute, which most seemingly seem to do when selling tech devices.

I used to do this with my iPhones every year, and would use a much older one for 2-3 weeks while waiting for the new ones to be released. Really tried to maximize how much I could sell the previous device for. But the past few years I’ve slowly lost the energy to go through so much work, even if it means losing a few dollars. I use my device up until the replacement arrives. Especially with the Watch, as I have no older ones around and I really hate being without it.

Anyway this year doesn’t seem too bad. In Canada, Series 4 SS is 929/989 CAD, and the Series 3 has stuck around but in aluminum only, and at 400-500 (with or without cellular) plus sales tax. Gave me a nice spot to list a SS Series 3, and have someone lined up at 675 CAD (it cost me 950ish I think incl tax last year).

Reactions: 44267547
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.