Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longdrag

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Does anyone have opinions as to the development cycle of the watch? Especially when it comes to implementing functionality that requires new hardware?

I am wondering how Apple will manage this, especially with the current cost of these units.

I thin I would be less than happy if after spending a few $k on a an edition watch to then find out a new version is only 6 months to a year down the line?

Thoughts anyone?

grenhall

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Sweden
Apple watch development cycle

I'm pretty sure it'll be more than 12 months between watch-releases. Especially since it hasn't launched in all countries yet. It might be realistic that a second generation will be presented in April or even at the iPhone 7 presentation in September 2016.

macrumors member
I don't think the edition will define the development cycle - it's really not aimed at people who are going to be bothered by having to replace it every year or two.

I would think that the development would be much the same as the iPhone - Watch OS updates will work with the last three or four generations of watch. Of course, not all features of the OS will be usable unless you have the latest watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.