Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Does nobody else use Voice Over while in the car? It will read incoming notifications aloud automatically. If you absolutely must respond to a message, you can do it all hands free with Siri.

I'm totally hands free in the car. Keeps me connected to important messages, both hands on the wheel and in compliance with the hands free laws.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
My understanding is that briefly looking away, even with a full change in focus (which the eye can do very fast incidentally) is not nearly as big of a safety issue as looking away and then mentally disengaging... So in your comment above, focusing on the watch briefly and seeing a message is probably not any less safe that turning on the windshield wipers. BUT looking at it and changing you concentration to actually read the message and recall its context, that is a terrible idea.

I wonder if Siri through the watch can read you messages like the iPhone can... If I "have" to text when driving I always do it entirely through Siri.
Maybe it's my old eyes, but changing focus from near field to far isn't instantaneous, and like you said the focus in attention is likely the most dangerous part of it.

Since Siri relies on the phone, I'm virtually certain that the watch acts as a remote mic and activation method. And think about it, when your phone is plugged in while you're driving, which device is initiating When you say "Hey Siri". I'm sure the integration is seamless. But considering the quality of the speaker on the watch, I'm not sure holding the watch up to your ear to listen to Siri read you something is any safer than holding a phone up to your ear. Though, I don't think we know if Siri can speak through the watch.

Kahalu'u Bob

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2007
Honolulu
Just read a report in the LA Times of an attorney that has filed suit in LA County Superior Court against Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, and Google that seeks a court order for their contributions to a $1 billion fund for a public education campaign about the dangers of smartwatch while driving.

I've never hear of a suit like that, and don't understand what possible grounds there could be for such an order. But, it is in California, and they do some interesting things there . . . .

Cuyler

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Chicago
ALERT: Bridge out Ahead! Slow Down!

APPLE WATCH: I can't send that Alert - the person is driving too fast.

Doh!

Well, that would be a bad situation. However, a navigation alert is not the same as getting a twitter notification or text message. Apple could implement an option to turn off those messages when the phone is traveling at car speeds. The main hurtle might be the GPS might run down the phone battery and I don't know if the motion sensor alone would reliably detect the start and stop of a vehicle.

What I don't want is for the state governments to start enacting laws saying people can't wear a watch while driving.

Reactions: GM44

GM44

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
GA
Well I use Bluetooth for answering calls from my steering wheel and ignore texts completely.
I haven't figured out how or get my car to read my texts out aloud. My phone usually just sits on the passenger seat. I have been trying to find a phone holder to use with Waze but it's difficult with a curved dash.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Just read a report in the LA Times of an attorney that has filed suit in LA County Superior Court against Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, and Google that seeks a court order for their contributions to a $1 billion fund for a public education campaign about the dangers of smartwatch while driving.

I've never hear of a suit like that, and don't understand what possible grounds there could be for such an order. But, it is in California, and they do some interesting things there . . . .
Hell, I would contribute to such a fund myself. I walk to work on most days, which makes it easier to see what people are doing in their cars. Where can I send money?

Reactions: GM44 and artfossil

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Distracting? The is no doubt the AW will turn on multiple times while driving. I see my screen light up all the time but it does not distract me from driving. The AW is not safer to use than one phone as reading the screen while trying to do something on the watch is harder for me than just using my phone.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

The government in Calif is crazy. Land of the loony!

tonedrums

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
New England
It can be distracting. I try not to use it while driving but I have noticed that prior to having Apple Watch I hardly checked my phone while driving. Now it's like as soon as I get a notification I'll want to check it asap. So in that respect it could be very distracting But only if you allow it to be.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
It can't be more distracting than the mini skirt or tight jean sitting next to you at passenger seat.
And it can't be more distracting than new car stereo with lots of push button you just installed.
It is only distracting, if you allow your brain to be distracted.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
The notification is not distracting, but the fact people look at the watch while driving is crazy stupid and yes i have done it... But I don't and won't anymore.

It's more dangerous than the phone IMO as you have to concentrate harder on the smaller screen and try to scroll!!

GM44

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
GA
It can be distracting. I try not to use it while driving but I have noticed that prior to having Apple Watch I hardly checked my phone while driving. Now it's like as soon as I get a notification I'll want to check it asap. So in that respect it could be very distracting But only if you allow it to be.

You just sumed it all up with when you said iWatch "could be very distractioninh have ..."Only if you let it be"! And that is so true...Siri allows us to hear incoming text and send them Without looking at the phone. It work very well...it's just a matter one making it a habit to use the feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.