Apple Watch DOA

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by qlet, May 15, 2015.

1. qlet macrumors newbie

Well I purchased the 44mm Watch with milanese loop. I excitedly opened it, put it on and tried to turn it on...nothing. So I hooked the charger up and a dim apple logo appeared, then went off and repeated over and over again. I called applecare after trying to reset it and waiting an hour to see if it was just really low on battery.

I spoke with an applecare rep who was helpful...well helpful after he asked me if I took a shower or went swimming with it after I told him I just unboxed it. He also told me to turn it off and back on again...I guess he had to read the script. So now they say they are sending me a box to send it back and then once they get it back they will send me a new one...I am quite disappointed but not necessarily disheartened. I have been with Apple a long time and I understand these things are the exception rather than the rule, but it is still quite the bummer. I wonder how long it will take to get my replacement...

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

3. qlet thread starter macrumors newbie

4. qlet thread starter macrumors newbie

They have sent me an email saying to make sure not to send back the band or any accessories and they will be sending me a refurbished unit. Well that's disappointing, I didn't even know they had refurbished units this early but I would have liked a new one since mine was new and I never got to use it.

5. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

With Apple refurbished units are actually tested better then the new ones. The new ones are tested on an assembly line by robots, while the refurbished units are tested first by the robots, but then by humans before they are shipped out.

At least that has been the procedure for Apple computers, and I don't see why watches should be any different.

I do know your disappointment with not winding up with a brand spanking new watch, but you could actually wind up with a better one.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That's crap. I wouldn't accept a refurb as a replacement for a brand new watch.

7. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Sorry, total crap. Brand new 42mm watch and you get a refurb? I'd tell them to just return it and buy one when they actually come out...eventually.

8. big samm macrumors 65816

Same here! I bought new give me a new one, if not i would ask for a refund and just buy a new one... With a lonnng waiting list im sure that's not the route you wanna take lol

9. Subdiv macrumors 6502

Ditto.

10. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Do they actually have refurbs in any quantity at this point? I agree that I would not be happy to take one as a replacement for a new watch, though.

11. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Total crap. I would send it back for my money back before I take a refurb.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm sure they've had a fairly high return rate on the watch from people buying two and keeping the one they like best but returning the other, and those can't be sold as new, so that combined with ones that are refurbished due to being exchanged under warranty probably means they have a decent amount of them.

13. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

I'm a fairly understanding person, but I would not accept a refurb for a watch that was DOA, especially since Apple sells refurb products much less than new ones.

14. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Not trying to be sarcastic or smart ass-y or anything like that, but do they really do that? I'v read around and I haven't found anything confirmed they do this much testing on refurbed devices. Just curious.

Also, I don't think the mobile white box replacements (iPads, iPhones, and probably Apple Watches) are tested as heavily as products that are resold. Still tested more throughly then new products, yes, but as for-sale refurbs I doubt it.

Ok, I would like to point two things out here:

1) The OP's replacement Watch will most likely not be a refurbished Watch at this point. It is probably a brand new watch that was set aside as service stock since they don't have a refurb line yet. New iPhone models are the same way. This is the reason Apple calls them "white box devices" or "service parts". They can be refurbed devices but there are some new devices. I think any replacements for the Watch until this time next month will be brand new devices that are service parts.

2) If the OP returns their watch now and gets a refund then re-orders, their new device won't ship until June or later. Last I heard, the turn around time for a service unit is 2-3 days with delivery within a week.

15. shenfrey macrumors 68000

16. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

exactly. Refurbs use new, OEM parts. I bet the 'refurb' watches have brand new SS cases, each tested by hand.

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

1) Refurbs are almost certainly not available yet and a 'white box' will be a new unit.

2) Refurbs are usually 'better' than new because they receive more individualized attention than they did off the assembly line.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

people being told they need to send their watch back and then will be given another really need to push for an express replacement. Many have been getting replacements overnighted to them, and you should expect no less!

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

That is what you will have to do to get a new one.

20. WilliamG macrumors 604

As has been mentioned several times, it will be service stock. There likely are no refurbished units yet. Same thing happened with my new iPhone 6 Plus with damage out of the box. The store had "refurbished" units ready for exchange, but it's just service stock which is new. Far too early for refurbs.

21. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Maybe normally it would be too early for refurbs, but this has not been a "normal" launch. People were buying multiple units and returning ones that were the wrong color or size without really wearing them. I guess no one has the exact figures but it seems like there was a high rate of return on this product. Given that possibility and taking into consideration that they still are not able to get these produced fast enough, maybe they can and are turning over returned stock earlier than they usually do. Of course this is all conjecture on my part.

22. Happy Snowman macrumors newbie

Happy Snowman

Take this up with a supervisor. This is not acceptable.