Apple Watch does not sync SMS?

plastus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Does anyone know if this is how the Apple Watch is supposed to function? It only syncs iMessages, but not SMS threads.

Scaleo

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
Munich, Germany
I had this issue too.
I then enable SMS forwarding on the iPhone for my MacBook Pro. After I did this my Watch received SMS. I don't know why this works.

plastus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Thanks. I will give it a try when I get back home. I disabled SMS relay for my iPad, so I'm hoping once I re-enable it it'll kick start the Watch to start syncing as well.

midloman

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Midllothian, VA
Thanks. I will give it a try when I get back home. I disabled SMS relay for my iPad, so I'm hoping once I re-enable it it'll kick start the Watch to start syncing as well.
I have an older Macbook Pro and an iPad. On my iPhone, under Settings --> Messages, I have only one entry for Text Message Forwarding. It says 1 device, and it's my iPad.

How do I add the Macbook Pro? Does that have to be added as well to get the texts on my watch? I think I had the same problem earlier today; the iMessages work fine but I'm not sure about the SMS. I think I got one earlier and it didn't come through.

plastus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Update: Didn't work. I'm on WatchOS 2.0 Beta 1 so maybe it's due to that. When a text message comes through, I only get the notification. No option to reply like with an incoming iMessage. If anyone has other suggestions, please post! Thanks!

Wrightpd

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
UK
I have the same issue on WatchOS2 beta1, i get notification of an SMS on the watch but the do not appear in the messages app.

Also if i try and send a new message to someonee via SMS (as they don't have an idevice) it try to send it as a iMessage then fails

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.