Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Australian government has approved ECG functionality on the Apple Watch, giving Apple the all-clear to launch the feature for Apple Watch users in the country, according to a regulatory document first spotted by The 8-Bit.

apple-watch-ecg-wrist.jpg

Earlier last month, the Apple Watch's irregular heart rhythm notification received approval in Australia, although ECG did not. Irregular heart rhythm is a feature that periodically reads your heart rhythm in the background and alerts you if it detects signs of atrial fibrillation (AFib). Both parts work in tandem as users who receive an irregular heart rhythm notification are advised to take an ECG for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of their heart condition.

With regulator hurdles now out of the way, it's unclear when Apple will roll the feature out for users in Australia. Apple is currently testing watchOS 7.5, and although there's been no indication thus far, the update could include support for ECG in Australia. watchOS 7.4 is expected to debut in the early spring alongside iOS 14.5, which will introduce the ability to unlock an iPhone with an Apple Watch, amongst other features.

Article Link: Apple Watch ECG Feature Gets Approved in Australia

Last edited:

BugHunter

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2007
Remind me what's the lowest iteration of watch that can do ECG (when the software enables it in a region anyway)?

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
About time! I’ve had a series 0 (battery swelled) and series 4 (broke on my bathroom floor) but I vowed not to get another one until we get all of the health features (I also thought of just getting a SE.

now the new watch won’t be out until September I guess I’ll wait until then!

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
Great turnaround considering the TGA changed their policies so the AW could get approved on February 25th. Apple probably had everything ready and filed for approval the day the policies got changed.

dgb333

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2021
I’ve been holding off – sometimes get irregular heart rhythm doing marathons and blood oxygen levels can get very low. Isn’t there a rumour that blood sugar levels may be able to be measured with the next watch?

imattel

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2021
We may be late to the game here but think about how far behind the rest of the world is in episodes of Home & Away...
I’m totally talking s**t. I’m actually excited for this update; as I’ve been eagerly waiting like the rest of you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.