Apple Watch ECG

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by apolloa, Aug 19, 2019.

1. apolloa, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019

apolloa macrumors G5

hi, my cardiologist has told me to get a ECG sensor to record any SVT attack’s I may have, I’m in the UK so the choices appear to be a bit limited.

I looked at the Alivecor Apple Watch Strap (I have a series 1 42mm), but discounted it as it doesn’t seem to be available in the UK and has a monthly subscription charge.
    Are their any other watch strap ECG readers available?

If not is the Apple Watch S4 any good at recording SVT? Can you email the readings it collects and can it take several readings in an hour say? Is it reliable at recording?

2. Wando64 macrumors 6502a

Wando64

I have the same issue and looking into options. Unfortunately I don’t have an answer so I will follow this thread for more info.
    Ultimately I think this question should be asked directly to the cardiologist, so it is my intention to do so when I get the opportunity.

BTW, The most promising device I have seen, is the KardiaMobile 6L, but it is not yet sold in the UK as far as I can see.
    It is a 6 lead EKG, so it will capture much more information than the AW.

3. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Maybe this will help, didn't have time to read it

I have PVC's and they aren't tracked by my S4

4. Dobbeltje macrumors newbie

Dobbeltje

You can try the regular AliveCor, alternative Qardio Core

5. apolloa thread starter macrumors G5

Yeah I did read about the 6L model, and as you saw it’s not available in the UK, seems we don’t have much choice here for these small ECG readers?
    My cardiologist recommended the Alivecor and I suggested the Apple Watch, I’ll look more into its watch strap later and the possibility of using it in the UK.

Can you provide the link you posted again? And if the Apple Watch won’t track your condition, does that mean if you run an ECG on it then it won’t record anything? Or that the sensors can’t pick up the condition? Does it not record the test anyway?

I’d ideally like a watch strap or the Apple Watch, the Qardio looks interesting but I don’t think it would be comfortable at night? But it seems like the Alivecor may be the only option possibly?

6. Wando64 macrumors 6502a

Wando64

The Alivecor, KardiaMobile 6L is not a strap (sorry if you knew that, maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying)
    It is not yet available in the UK (although the lesser standard KardiaMobile is available); However it has been released very recently in the US. so it might become available shortly.
    I suppose there is an option of buying it from the US. I don't imagine that there would be any geographical restrictions on usage.

By the way, none of these devices (including the AW) are monitoring continuously.
    You will need to do an ECG when you have symptoms.
    If you want continuous monitoring you need a holter monitor device.

7. apolloa thread starter macrumors G5

From what I’ve read the app only supports these devices in certain regions, so it may not be as easy as importing from the US? And yes I did know it’s not a watch strap, but Alivecor started out by making one for the Apple Watch.

8. Ruggy macrumors regular

Yes, there are loads of watches with ECG and blood pressure monitoring. Some of them do 24 hour continuous monitoring via an app.
    But, I couldn't guarantee the accuracy of them. If you've ever used a heart rate monitor when working out you'll know what I mean. They can vary wildly.
    Same with blood glucose monitors.
    They are really cheap and claim to do loads of things so probably only do some of them reasonably well.
    I did order one recently for exercise and if it turns out to be accurate I will report back.

If you want something reliably accurate then I think the Apple watch is your best bet.

If you only need a rough idea then do a search for something like this (you did say you are in the UK? )
    You might get lucky.
    Alternatives to your local rainforest delivery service are available.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitness-Ac...monitor+watch&qid=1566327536&s=gateway&sr=8-4

9. anticipate macrumors 6502

anticipate

The Apple Watch will record PAC and PVCs (on ECG app) but it won't alert or diagnose them. I get PACs and they're clear as day on there. PVCs are too, I have seen them in others' posts

10. apolloa thread starter macrumors G5

Thanks, my heart can race and not settle for hours, but reading Apple.com it says if the ecg reader detects a heart rhythm over 150 it declares the reading as inconsistent, I didn’t know if they meant it still records the reading or not? And store it for viewing later?
    I was thinking of getting the Apple Watch S4 when the price drops after the S5 is launched next month.

I’ve found one Kardia strap second hand on eBay... you can’t buy them on amazon anymore. I’m in two minds about the Alivecor because of the monthly subscription. Has anyone tried them?

11. anticipate macrumors 6502

anticipate

It'll still record the reading for your cardiologist to see. It just won't be able to classify it, meaning, they need a person to do that (your doc). It'll still show an ECG reading for them to look at in the Health app.

I had a Kardia pad once but it was 1 lead. It was similar to the S4 SW in accuracy. It was nice to get a doctor to read it for you, but they just tell you to go to a doctor. So I don't think it was worth it. (Their 6 lead one may be worth it because it can see much more).

Note - I am not qualified to give medical advice... I can just state my own experiences as someone who gets ectopic beats sometimes

12. apolloa thread starter macrumors G5

Yes the 6 lead one does seem good, but it means another thing to remember to take with you plus you sant buy it in the UK yet.
    However the single lead one will cost £200 for the first year, with the subscription.
    The S4 larger Apple Watch is £430. So once that price drops it seems the better buy potentially.

13. Allyance macrumors 6502

Allyance

I tried the strap version of Alivecor and found it to be a hassle. Inconsistent readings and took a lot of readings so my watch battery did not last the day. Waiting to get new watch, just got Apple Card which doesn't work with my 1st gen. I will wait to see if a new model is released in Sept.

My brother uses the stand alone Alivecor and he likes it. (He designs high tech medical instrumentation so he know what he is doing)

14. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

https://9to5mac.com/2019/02/12/apple-watch-heart-condition-diagnosis/

I haven't had a doctor read any ECG's I did. But, it just says no AFIB detected. It may show more than I can interpret.

15. apolloa thread starter macrumors G5

Wow, thank you very very much!! I had SVT twice but my cardiologist thinks it was the upper chambers, trouble is without an ECG catching it they can’t see why exactly.
    Although I believe mine is caffeine related, the last attack happened after drinking a bottle of Diet Coke over a weekend which was the first time I’d had caffeine since my first attack. But I need to record it if it happens again and by the time the ambulance arrives it’s usually dropped back down to 130 to 140 and ECGs are not able to show anything abnormal.

Think I’ll have to look more into this Alivecor subscription too.

16. Wando64 macrumors 6502a

Wando64

You keep on referring to the Alivecor subscription model and I don’t understand why. Can you explain?
    As far as I can see, the premium subscription service is not necessary for ECG monitoring.

From their site: “Every purchase of KardiaMobile includes our basic service free of charge, which includes unlimited EKG recordings with instant analysis, blood pressure and weight tracking, and storage of recorded EKGs on your phone.”

17. apolloa thread starter macrumors G5

It seems you can only email those results at anytime to your doctor with the subscription, as I said I need to look into it more.

18. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

I just purchased a GPS series 4. My cardiologist gave me an email to send the ECG converted to .pdf if I receive an AFib alert and take a 30sec reading. :apple:

19. Thirio2 macrumors newbie

I upgraded to the AW4 because of the ECG. It normally works well, but when I am sweaty, such as after exercise or mowing the lawn, the ECG can't get a good reading. After I dry off, it works well again, but by that time my heart rate has dropped down and I don't have any other symptoms. I have no experience with the other devices mentioned.

20. apolloa thread starter macrumors G5

Well I just bought a 44mm S4 Apple Watch, the silver one with white strap as Amazon has £50 off them at the moment.
    I’ll see how I get on, especially after reading the post above :eek:

21. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Yes, perspiration is an issue. I'm going to try the Nike Sport Band with the perforations. I don't care for the Nylon Sport. One thing I'm finding is the difficulty in choosing a good third party breathable band. There are thousands out there. Really need to do a lot of research.

22. apolloa thread starter macrumors G5

Yeah Amazon have the nylon sport band model for the same £50 off but to me it looks like it will get dirty or irritate my skin. I’d rather try the Nike band too.

23. apolloa, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019

apolloa thread starter macrumors G5

Got my watch today :) I set it up and thought it was faulty as I couldn’t find the ECG app anywhere or how to activate it!

But typically I eventually saw I needed to update the thing lol....
    After that it’s been working like a charm, it’s exactly what I wanted as it records the ECGs in my phone app, where I can export them to email anywhere. Also like how the app shortcut is on the front watch face. I also presume my readings are synced to my iCloud?

The straps also feel nicer then my Series 1? Softer.
    And I gotta say it’s faster!

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciated it. I have to say I was sceptical at first of Apple moving into the health field, but so far their apps and devises have proved damn good! And have provided some good information for me.
    I hope they do more in the future?