Apple Watch Edition unique colors customization

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lg251, Jul 12, 2015.

1. lg251 macrumors 6502

I've tried searching around, but it seems the gold AW have the option to choose a "gold" color when customizing faces? Like the hands and text and such. Is it me or I'm just not seeing right in the pics/videos? I can select yellow or orange on my SS but it never quite looks like the faces I see on the edition models.

2. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

See the pictures attached. AW edition gets custom colors/faces?

Attached Files:

3. gman36 macrumors regular

The gold color is exclusive to the watch edition.

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Exactly. Each model has its own identifier that it presents to the OS, which lets the OS know that its a certain model and to 'unlock' the gold Watch faces on the gold models only. I bet the rose gold one even has a slightly red-er ting to it. Its the same way iTunes knows what color your iPhone/iPad/iPod is.

5. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright thanks guys. I hope Apple will give us the opportunity to change hand colors on the chronograph face in the future! It would make the face look better imo.

6. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Wow, I had no idea until I looked at those photos. Very nice touch for the gold watch guys. That is classy. I guess I never paid attention to it since I knew I wouldn't ever own one. So if the gold Edition has it's special colors in the watch faces, does that mean my AW has different colors than the Sport?

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Someone ought to release a jailbreak for the Watch to be able to modify the identifier and make this possible. The last I read, the jailbreak community didn't seem too interested in jailbreaking the Watch and is instead focusing on iOS 9 jailbreak.

8. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking about it on my way home, I haven't seen custom colors or faces for the SS vs the Sport models. Does anyone know if the SS has something unique to it?

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Only the Edition appears to have unique watch faces with yellow/rose gold hands. There must be a way to hack the Watch app or at least modify the identifier to fool the iPhone into thinking it's detecting an Edition model. There are quite a few members who have gold-plated their Watches and I'm sure they would like to unlock this feature.

10. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

I never noticed this... It's definitely a strange thing to do. I mean, it's not like someone said "I'm gonna buy a $10,000 Apple Watch, so I can have gold colored watch hands!"

Personally, I think the SS would look best with the gold colored hands. Silver and gold pair so well together.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not really that strange as gold hands are extremely common on conventional gold watches. Yellow and orange hands would look off on gold. Either way, nobody is buying the Edition because of the gold hands.

12. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

Lol, I wasn't trying to say strange to have gold hands, just strange that they only allow gold hands on the edition. Like that helps justify the $10K price tag... but Ferrari's comes with red speedometer needles, so I guess it just makes sense. :D

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I see what you mean. However, brightly colored hands such as orange, blue, yellow and red are rather common on conventional SS watches. On the other hand, unless it's a two tone I don't recall ever seeing gold hands on otherwise solid SS conventional watches. Hence Apple's decision to include the gold hand only on the Edition models.

14. Mac2me, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I think it's cool that the gold watch has special "gold" colored hands. I don't begrudge them the exclusivity to them and not saying anyone is. I think the gold hands help set off their expensive watch display nicely. Also makes me wonder if the gold Edition got one or two special faces or complications. For the big bucks if I was buying one I would love having something a bit unique for the extra thousands spent. Personally I'm not one who likes to mix metal colors but know others do and there are lots of mixed metal bands out there. Too bad they can't make a reflective silver or aluminum (silver or space gray) colored hand for the Sport or Watch.

I am still curious whether there are special colors for each of the other category watches unique to them. Anyone out there with both watches in your family that could check?