Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I'm not sure that anyone can really answer the question, OP. Not wanting to sound rude, but if Apple Support say the diagnostic passed and if the guidance says it will not detect all falls, then I think that's probably the best you're going to get. I mean, what else can they tell you? It sounds like what you are asking them to do is predict the future and assure you that the Watch won't miss another detection. Well, it might, because there is always the potential for it to not detect a fall. It even says that. If you want something to detect every fall, 100% of the time, without fail, without risk that it won't, then to be frank, the Apple Watch is the wrong product for you. Is it unfortunate that it doesn't detect every fall, 100%? Sure. Does it mean that the Watch is faulty? No.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. I'm just not sure what response you're expecting.
This was a S6 SB Ti. I might think about getting another watch in the fall, just in case my watch is defective.

ponytrekker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Hi

My AW series 6 failed to detect a significant fall. I contacted Apple Support. They were very nice. They went over basic setup issues and ran basic diagnostics. Everything checked out, according to Apple.

I am aware that Apple states the watch cannot detect all falls. However, I want to make sure the watch is not defective with regard to fall detection.

I am NOT looking to return the watch (titanium). I wrote to Tim Cook’s office and have so far received no response.
What are my options for testing the watch more rigorously?

Have you had a similar experience of your watch failing to detect a significant fall?

Thanks
Actually yes, several times. The trail where I run has roots and rocks and two times, I have tripped and fallen face first, breaking my fall judo style though I did wind up with a skinned knee once and a skinned knee, elbow and hand the other. Nothing on my watch.

On two other occasions it did note my fall. Once, was a legitmate slip onto my ass on ice in my steep driveway, it asked if I fell and I said 'yes' for diagnostic purposes. The other I was doing high plank shoulder taps and came down a little quickly on my watch hand and it asked me if I fell and I said "no."

All on AW6.

Honestly, I just do not think it is that accurate. Just like I occasionally get wacky HR readings (once in a hundred times) o2 readings, I think there's a reason it isn't classified as a legitimate medical device.

Last edited:

ponytrekker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
My wife has fallen twice and the fall detection worked both times.
She also has had a severe head-on car accident and the airbags did not activate (she broke her neck and had to be airlifted for emergency surgery, almost died.)
So in my experience, Apple fall detection works and airbags don't.
The reality is that both work most of the time, but not always. They are still a benefit to life safety.
OMG I hope she is OK and has had a full recovery. A bit off-topic but what car?

Reactions: schlupps

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
2012 mini cooper. Yes, she is all OK now, thanks, with some more titanium bits fusing some of the vertebra. Fortunately no nerve damage. I tell her she literally now has her head screwed on right. :)
Great

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
e

except I had a serious fall down a flight of stairs. You think that would have activated the watch. BTW your response was most unhelpful and in my opinion, rude.
Not just your opinion. It was rude. And it is well known that emailing Tim Cook gets you to the Executive Team who almost always responds. No one would think that Tim Cook actually reads these emails.

Reactions: Saturn007

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
I used to drive a same-year, same-brand, same-model car. *shudder*

Back on topic, I triggered fall-detection on my S6, once - I don't remember if it was yoga, chasing a fly (swat-swat) or something else. But it wasn't a fall. But I was glad the thing worked.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Did you move after? It doesn’t do anything if you move. I fell last night hard. Scraped hands and knees badly. But I got up so no need to intervene. View attachment 1810907

@jaybar - You never answered this question (that I could see)? Did you move after you fell? If so, well, then there's your answer as to why your AW didn't call Emergency Services. Sounds like it's only designed to do so if you're knocked unconscious or immobilized.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Yes, once. But most of the time my Watch is hyper-zealous (e.g. clapping my hands to discipline my cat can register as a fall).

My two serious falls were detected (and I was OK).

Fall detection isn’t 100%. But it’s very good. And you have Emergency SOS as a backup.

I always wear my Watch in the shower as that’s a prime spot for falls.
I had similar issues! Smacked a bug, using a hammer with the same arm your Watch is on, or clapping, while falling on my butt from slipping on ice last winter, not even a peep!

Reactions: artfossil

Drnlo4882

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2021
Hi

My AW series 6 failed to detect a significant fall. I contacted Apple Support. They were very nice. They went over basic setup issues and ran basic diagnostics. Everything checked out, according to Apple.

I am aware that Apple states the watch cannot detect all falls. However, I want to make sure the watch is not defective with regard to fall detection.

I am NOT looking to return the watch (titanium). I wrote to Tim Cook’s office and have so far received no response.
What are my options for testing the watch more rigorously?

Have you had a similar experience of your watch failing to detect a significant fall?

Thanks
My husband has same experience. Purchased Apple Watch 6 series after he had a serious fall BECAUSE of AW fall detection function. Since the purchase & consistently wearing AW, he had 4 falls, the Watch missing 3 of them. The most recent serious fall was on concrete with some skin injuries. Apple phone support walked us through settings and remote software troubleshooting with no issues. Took to “Genius Bar” in Apple Store and the tech found a sensor problem. Sent to repair center & they are returning it with no repair “can’t duplicate the problem”. We called Apple Support again asking for replacement (still under warranty) and basically told no. Spoke to senior advisor who subsequently transferred to store Genius Bar manager, who stonewalled and hung up on us. Refused to bump up chain of command.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
Let me think back. My father had a fall last week, the family was all around. This was the first time AW failed to detect it. The fall detection application does have a flaw somewhere, but I would rather have him wear it still and detect a fall more times than not, than wearing nothing at all.

Drnlo4882

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2021
Let me think back. My father had a fall last week, the family was all around. This was the first time AW failed to detect it. The fall detection application does have a flaw somewhere, but I would rather have him wear it still and detect a fall more times than not, than wearing nothing at all.
Nothing is perfect. Good that only once it failed to detect your dad’s fall, and hopefully he is doing ok. Maybe if people report the real but undetected falls, Apple will improve the product. We are very distressed that apple didn’t repair or replace our Apple Watch 6 that missed 75% of my husband’s falls in the 10 months he’s had it. They stonewalled us and hung up on us. Would not bump up to more senior management.

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I think the feature is really inconsistent. I recently had a fall from a bike (swerving to miss a child and hit a tree root) I was down for at least a minute because it knocked the wind out of me and the watch (ss4) did nothing. A friend of mine sets hers off at least once a week just waiving her arms around.

Zanc

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Yes, once. But most of the time my Watch is hyper-zealous (e.g. clapping my hands to discipline my cat can register as a fall).

My two serious falls were detected (and I was OK).

Fall detection isn’t 100%. But it’s very good. And you have Emergency SOS as a backup.

I always wear my Watch in the shower as that’s a prime spot for falls.
Funny you should say clapping at my cat triggered fall detection. That’s exactly what happened to me. Detected a fall correctly when hiking over hill in Shropshire, UK. Not sure it would have helped as no-one in the group of 20 had a mobile signal at that location.

Reactions: artfossil

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Funny you should say clapping at my cat triggered fall detection. That’s exactly what happened to me. Detected a fall correctly when hiking over hill in Shropshire, UK. Not sure it would have helped as no-one in the group of 20 had a mobile signal at that location.
If I fall and am unconscious and the Watch doesn’t record it as a fall that will be unfortunate.

But the likelihood is that I’ll fall and still be conscious. So, either my Watch registers or as a fall and contacts emergency services or I do it.

This is why I always wear my Watch in the shower.

Reactions: Zanc

Calion

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013

Take a shovel, or if you have it a sidewalk ice chopper. Holding the handle with both hands, rase the shovel or ice chopper up and bring it down with force on a side walk or paved driveway (maybe on top of a bit of wood to protect the side walk or driveway).

The idea is fast acceleration as your bring your arms down to slam the shovel or ice chopper into the hard surface and then a sudden stop as the shovel or ice chopper comes to a stop.

After you slam down the shovel or ice chopper, just keep your Apple Watch still, so it thinks you have stopped moving.

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
This is an old, old thread. Any indication, for reference for the benefit of anyone looking, as to how the upgraded accelerometer and gyroscope in the current Apple Watch 8 and Ultra address this?

Reactions: srknpower

srknpower

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
This is an old, old thread. Any indication, for reference for the benefit of anyone looking, as to how the upgraded accelerometer and gyroscope in the current Apple Watch 8 and Ultra address this?
I have a Series 8. I fell one time and it succesfully worked. But once while I was playing basketball, it was triggered as well.

Reactions: dblissmn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.