Apple Watch for birthday?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Prozak0820, May 1, 2016.

1. Prozak0820 macrumors regular

Prozak0820

My 18th birthday is in two weeks and I was wondering if I should get an Apple Watch. I've wanted one since it came out but I decided to get a newer iPhone. Would it be a bad time to get one now? Or should I wait till after WWDC to get one ( just in case they announce a second gen) or should I just get one now. It would be nice to have one before I apply for a job in the tech area in my local PX. So what do you think I should do?

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Historically WWDC is software centric meaning that chances are very slim that an updated watch would be announced. Buy yourself a birthday gift - life's too short to wonder 'what if'...worse case scenario you buy it and don't like it or in six months you sell it so you can order the newest version.

Who knows, you could buy it and be perfectly happy with it - because if I am being honest, paying with your watch is kind of supercool.

3. Prozak0820 thread starter macrumors regular

Prozak0820

That's true. I'm just worried a new version will come out that's all. Sadly Germany doesn't have Apple Pay yet :( well I'll go to the Apple Store to try on the watch again and hope the SSSB with Milanese loop looks as good as the pictures.

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

That's the thing about new versions of products - they are always on the way.

Odd, not even on the base/post? Our exchange doesn't have it activated but our commissary does (unfortunately this is in Virginia and not overseas)

Good luck and Happy Birthday.

5. ericwn macrumors 65816

Hm, on one hand I think that you should treat yourself, of course. Nobody really knows when the next watch will be introduced and if your existing collectors bands will work on a newer model (like with swatch).
    I really like my apple watch but are you sure that is a good birthday present? One only turns 18 once and personally, I'd spend the money for something that might last you longer than just a couple years. It's a special day after all.

6. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

Wait for the new fancy apple watch 2.

The fact is the Apple Watch was introduced 18 months ago, has been on sale for 12, and probably has another 5 months left before being upgraded. We’re at the tail end of its run before being refreshed by an overdue upgrade.

New color options, band varieties, and a price drop make it more compelling right now, but there’s a reward for those who wait. The hardware you buy today, even in rose gold Sport with a Nylon Woven band, is the same hardware introduced a year ago.

7. 8692574 Suspended

It's true that chances are slim, but it is also true that is about one full month...you waited one year, a months is nothing compared...

Considering that your birthday is in 2 weeks it is less than a month of wait :D

8. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

OP is from germany. They poor german people have no real deals on that watch. They pay 349 €. Apple never dropped the entry-level price to 299 in germany. (349 € are 400 $)