Apple Watch for festivals

Ccllud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2018
i am a big festival fan and thinking of getting an Apple Watch specifically for festivals (I wear traditional watches day to day). I would use it primarily for Shazam and to see if someone texts me without pulling my phone out. Few questions:
1. Can I run Shazam from the Watch?
2. Want to keep costs at minimum, is there a minimum model to do so? Or will all Apple watches do that?

Thanks in advance

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Yes, Shazam works on the Watch to let you know what music is playing without pulling out your phone.

All Apple Watches can do this, so the cheapest version will be fine for you.

My guess, though, is that once you start using the Apple Watch it will quite possibly replace your traditional watches that you wear on a day to day.

Reactions: Ntombi

Altis

macrumors 68030
Sep 10, 2013
In my experience, Soundhound has been quicker and more accurate, especially with songs that are mixed in. Don't have a watch to try it with, though.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
How good is Shazam at live music?

I’ve never tried it but assumed it would struggle due to the don’t being different to the album track.
Good point. I've never tried it with live music. But I'm guessing that, as it tries to match pre-recorded tracks, it might not be very successful.

OP - I guess you should experiment with Shazam on your phone at your next festival to see what the hit rate is before investing in the Watch.

danmart

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Apple Music can now identify tracks by their lyrics. Record a (hopefully clear) bit of singing from a song you like then type in the lyrics later to help find the song.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

iKevinT

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
i am a big festival fan and thinking of getting an Apple Watch specifically for festivals (I wear traditional watches day to day). I would use it primarily for Shazam and to see if someone texts me without pulling my phone out. Few questions:
1. Can I run Shazam from the Watch?
2. Want to keep costs at minimum, is there a minimum model to do so? Or will all Apple watches do that?

Thanks in advance
Shazam won’t recognize live concert music. Shazam searches its vast database for digital files, not listening like a person. Watch a concert video on YouTube by somebody in the audience and try Shazam with it.

Reactions: Sword86

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I haven’t tried Shazam on my watch yet, but for festivals I LOVE staking my Apple Watch. It allows me to keep my phone secured away in my bag and not having to pull it out every few minutes to check notifications. I frequent festivals too!

Reactions: tromboneaholic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.