Apple Watch for weight lifting

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by m11rphy, Jun 17, 2015.

1. m11rphy macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I have an apple watch on reserve for today, I want to use it mainly in the gym as I have nicer watchs I work and going out ect.

The issue is will it be much use to me as I only really do weight training. is the watch able to count my reps ect ? is there any weight training specific apps for recording reps and weights used ?

2. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

I'm a regular weight trainer but I don't wear my Apple Watch (or wedding ring) when training.
    Would feel constrictive.

Therefore my Activity reports aren't accurate as it obviously doesn't take into account my pumping iron. Ah well.

3. Betsy30 macrumors member

There are several apps that I know of that you can use to track reps on the watch. I've tried fitlist and Iron Pro myself, but I don't actually use either on the watch. I found it too hard to change reps/sets on Iron Pro, and in general I just find it easier to use my phone than either app on the watch.

I'm sure there are plenty of other apps to try. I will say that I worked with the developer of Iron Pro on a couple of issues when I first got the app and found him to be extremely responsive.

4. worker73 macrumors member

I want to say Vimofit tracks reps as well......I think.

5. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Native workout app doesn't track weightlifting metrics but I still use it on "other" mode for the calorie count. I'm hoping they add support for it but if not, some third party should fill the void.

6. m11rphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys think i'll wait untill its supported by apple

7. RVSSTS macrumors newbie

I also use the "other" mode for weight training. I am still surprised they didn't include weight training in the original mix. I would also love to see someway you could add an exercise event, for those times you don't want to wear your watch for fear of breaking it.

8. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

I too use "other" mode for weight lifting. Better than nothing I suppose. On the plus side, I haven't noticed my watch while lifting. I was a bit worried about that before I got it.

9. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I haven't seen one Watch in Golds Gym Venice. That said, I've thought about using one in my own workout to time rest between sets, which I feel would be easier than having to manage my phone (which I could leave in my pocket). However, I've really been analyzing how I use my phone at the gym, and now consider a few things the watch won't replace. I find I do a lot of texting at the gym between sets, something I'm not likely to want to do via dictation on the watch in the middle of the gym. I'm usually on-call during the week with work, so I need to actually reply to some e-mails I receive. Ocassionally I do need to take calls at the gym, and it's hard for me to imagine having a speakerphone conversation on the watch in the middle of the gym. And finally, my guilty pleasure, I do tend to surf the web between sets, something I clearly couldn't do on the watch.

In the plus column, if a good watch interface for tracking gym stats were developed, I can see actually doing it on the watch. And then there's music control. I don't use headphones at the gym, as I generally like the mix they play at golds. However, I do watch others who are listening to music, and the watch would be invaluable to them, rather than twisting around to control the iPhone on their bicep, managing their wires to pull the iPhone out and change it, reaching behind their neck to adjust their Shuffle, etc.

I can't imagine any fitness tracker ever doing a good job with weight lifting due to the sporadic heart rate between sets and the frequency with which the heart rate monitor takes readings. If it were always on constantly monitoring it that would be one thing, but it would also probably drain your battery before the workout was over. Even if you were doing cardio during rests between sets, you wouldn't get an accurate measure of it to know if you were actually achieving your goals. So there's a lot of work that needs to be done on this aspect of the watch before it will be useful for weight lifters. And, they need to come up with a rep counting algorithm so you don't have to manually enter your rep count, though I can see no way around entering weight lifted, or leg reps. Maybe down the road they will develop ankle and wrist straps that will coordinate with the watch and measure movement on all of your extremities.

10. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I use the "Other" setting while doing weights. Works pretty well. Obviously this won't be fully accurate with just a heart rate sensor. I'm sure some third party will introduce apps with some algorithms to get more accurate calorie counts added to the activity rings.

11. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

You should probably lift something way heavier than an Apple Watch.