Apple Watch Force Touch Technology in the Redesign?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kiju, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Kiju macrumors member

There were rumors circulating earlier this year about the rMBP possibly getting a buttonless trackpad. If the Force Touch technology used in the :apple: Watch works as seamlessly with our multi-touch interface as we'd expect, I can see this being further integrated in the future.

After it's been field tested with the watch, I can see apple using the technology for an even more seamless redesign of the rMBP.

2. 5to1 macrumors 6502

To be honest I quite like the tactile feedback of a "real button". So this is not something that would really drive an upgrade for me. Adding Touch ID would :)

3. leman macrumors 604

For all intends and purposes, the MBP trackpad is already buttonless. I don't think I have ever used the button on it — touch to click is so much more convenient for me.

4. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

Agreed, I like to feel the click of the trackpad and regularly press it. It provides more feedback to me than touch to click.

5. Kiju thread starter macrumors member

Touch ID is something I hope they integrate into the design! That'd definitely a selling point for me as well.

I'm just thinking that in order to make it the thinnest they've ever done, they are going to have to simplify as many components as possible. If they can simulate feedback that's just as good as a button then I think it would be an interesting move.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The only time I ever click the trackpad is to drag things around, which isn't very often.

Tap to click is simply more convenient, and more importantly, nearly silent.

7. chromite macrumors regular

And with the 3 finger drag there's not even a need for that :)

8. 5to1 macrumors 6502

To be honest I'd rather they lose some more of the bezel area to shrink the footprint, before making it thinner.

9. aoaaron macrumors 6502

Footprint reduction is the best they can do for the MBP for now IMO.
    That and increase standard SSD size.

Any other redesign would be very unnecessary. Maybe an alternative colour in the future too if they really wanted to.