Apple Watch from att on next plan

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gmikesell, Mar 4, 2018.

1. gmikesell macrumors regular

i recently bought the Apple Watch 3 black ss from att on the next plan (Coming from android with gear s3 frontier). When I received the watch it wasn’t activated. After the first month cell phone billing it’s not listed and doesn’t appear to have any mention of it. I’ve since decided that I don’t really care to activate it since it works fine just carrying my iphone everywhere. Has anyone been using their Apple Watch purchased on att next without activating? I primarily wanted the SS model and current setup is working just fine for me.

2. razmonster macrumors regular

razmonster

do you mean you didn't activate LTE? you don't have to if you don't want to but it asks you in the beginning when you first set it up

3. gmikesell thread starter macrumors regular

Right. I ordered it on Best Buy, and set up with my cell phone account for installments with the next plan. When I picked up the watch I just took it home and paired with my iPhone. Over the following month I kept an eye on my account to see when it had an account (ctn #) assigned and it has been 1 billing cycle so far with no listing of the Apple Watch. When I look at “manage my installments” it does list a ctn for my Apple Watch but status shows “pending contract” so they definitely know about the next purchase. Just no line charges yet. Could be interesting to see if they activate it automatically by next billing or if they just give me a full charge for the watch since I don’t seem to be interested in activating on a line. Just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience and what ultimately ended up happening.

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

You might want to go back and read the Terms / Conditions; this one stands out to me: Requires eligible wireless service. If you cancel service, your installment agreement balance is due.

Details: NSTALLMENT AGMT: Credit approval may be required. For eligible tablets, connected wearables, cameras, basic and quick messaging phones, AT&T Wireless Internet and other connected devices. Excludes smartphones. Tax on sales price due at sale. Requires 20-month 0% APR monthly installment agreement and eligible service. Divides device retail cost/price into monthly installments. $0 down available for well qual. credit. Limit as low as 1 device at $0 down. Down payment: May be required and depends on a variety of factors. Down payment if required will be either 30% of sales price or a dollar amount ranging from currently $0 to $400 (amount subject to change, and may be higher). Service: Eligible postpaid voice and/or data service based on device type is required and extra. If service cancelled, remaining installment agmt balance due. Activation Fee: $30/line. Restocking: if returned w/in 14 days, fee up to $45 applies. [Examples: Retail price of $779.99 monthly price for 20 months with $0 down is $39 per month, with $234 down (30%) is $27.30 per month, or with $400 down is $19 per month.] Limits: Eligibility, device, line and financing limits (as low as 1) & other restr's apply. See your Retail Installment Agreement for full details.

Dave

5. gmikesell thread starter macrumors regular

So I went in to get my Apple Watch activated today. Didn’t want to risk any surprises. Turns out that my account was already set to activate automatically after 32 days starting from purchase date. I was told that if that auto-activation failed or I refused it then the entire device charge would have been the next thing to happen.