Apple Watch future new design

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chiefs1968, Mar 25, 2019.

1. chiefs1968 macrumors regular

Anyone like myself would like to see a round design on the Apple watch. Don't get me wrong I love my apple watch but a round design would look pretty kool. Or how bout this... a rugged outdoor type round face and keep the square for those who prefer the square look. Love to hear your opinions....

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

A round design Apple Watch has been long requested and there has been dozens of threads discussing this topic. The reality is it’s not in Apples plans given their current design trend. Yes, we all welcome change and diversity, but that’s generally not how Apple operates. I don’t see Apple anytime soon implementing a round design.

3. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

True that. Apple does not follow people, people follow Apple.

4. bluespark macrumors 68000

A round design is unlikely because of some solid design reasons against it. Watches originally were round because that design best fit the function -- mechanically spinning hands with no use for corners. With a screen-based device capable of displaying text, a rectangular design makes more sense. Thus, the round smartwatches are throwbacks in that they are emulating the look of a prior mechanical design. By contrast, Apple's goal was to start fresh and to rethink the entire idea of the watch.

That's not to say that round watches aren't beautiful. Many of them are, and some of the best looking watch designs in history are round. But Apple isn't trying to pay homage to history; it's goal is to let the Watch's function dictate its form, just as watch designers from prior generations did.

5. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

This has been discussed many, many times and I think we all have the same answers that a search would provide.

6. Jar Jar Abrams macrumors newbie

99% of all watches were round it's nice to see something different, hope this helps your market research and you you'll be sent that amazon gift card.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Considering what we use the Apple Watch screen for, rectangular is the way to go.

8. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Yeah because ROUND smartwatches are doing soooooo well, right?

Hint: see the spectacular epic failure of Android Wear where all OEMs try to mimic a Timex/Rolex.

Apple wanted a shape that is most practical (reading data/text) but also easily recognizable from far distance as an Apple product. Mission accomplish on both fronts IMO.

9. halfcack macrumors newbie

I know a stand alone watch is a foot shooter for phone sales but does anyone see a stand alone ever coming.

I am so tired of carrying the smallest phone now available, it would be for light users like myself.

This begs, no sales if aimed toward light users which I think would not hurt phone sales.

How many light use cell phone users could be estimated out there now.

10. iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

99%? I doubt that. I mean, the majority of mechanical watches are round, yes, but there are quite a few rectangular/square watches in historical and contemporary in style today, but usually carry a higher price tag if you want that specific style of watch. [i.e Cartier being one of them].

12. Itinj24 macrumors regular

A smart watch should be rectangular IMO. I’ve had a few round smart watches in the past- Moto 360 1 & 2, LG Watch Sport, S3 Frontier and I always felt like content was cut off because of the shape. Touch screen scrolling didn’t feel right either. It’s akin to carrying around an oval cell phone. These are more like wrist worn mini computers than watches. Rectangular is the way to go.

13. colonelbutt macrumors 6502

colonelbutt

rounds designs are a waste of screen, very poor for information presentation and take up the same space on the wrist whilst loosing info

Its ok for a Rolex Submariner as it has effectively almost zero info

14. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Not sure i understand this post...but Apple Watch + Airpods is pretty much a great stand alone for light users.

15. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Unless you want the watch, purely for the traditional watch faces and just to look at the time (which is cool) then no. I have used circular Android watches and really couldn't do much with them, apart from looking at the time. By the way, most Android smartwatches are circular and Apple Watch, which is the most popular smartwatch is rectangular. Why do you think Apple has a desire to fix something that isn't broken?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2019 ---
    That's why they are successful!

16. Monkswhiskers, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

Monkswhiskers macrumors member

I don't like round watches myself. I like the shape of the Apple Watch personally, if you don't, buy something else, plenty of choice (but not as good eg. fugly Fenix). They are more likely to go square (and thinner) more than round I would say.

17. Relentless Power, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Garmin Fenix And Galaxy Gear are examples that don’t have a reason to be square, they display information perfectly fine being round, but the real contender is that the consumer likely prefers a round design as it is, it’s not that they don’t choose to go square, they know the masses prefer a round design, which gives Apple more exclusivity having a square design when you see it on someone’s wrist.

18. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

That makes zero sense.

19. ledzepfan1981 macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

20. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

Most of the round smart watches are huge compared to the Apple Watch. Sure, no problems displaying data if the thing is the size of a freakin’ saucer. I have smaller wrists and simply couldn’t wear an Android watch even if I were inclined.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s exactly it, Apple isn’t providing that option, when they know the market could be more gravitated even more with a round Apple Watch if they offered it. I suspect they will offer a round Apple Watch in the future, but right now, there more being about the health orientation side of things then they are offering a complete redesign alternative. (Keep in mind, Apple usually is much slower implementing things consumers want to see right away.)

22. ledzepfan1981 macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

I agree. It would just been nice to have the choice between circular or rectangular.

23. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

While I understand your desire for a round watch, and personally I like the shape because it’s a classic, I can understand why they don’t make it.

No matter if you wear the first or a Series 4 watch, you can spot it from a mile away... Very very distinctive design and instantly recognisable. A round smart watch would blend in with the masses and not reach the same iconic shape status

24. Relentless Power, Jun 10, 2019 at 6:45 AM
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019 at 2:11 PM

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

To be honest, I don’t have a desire for a round watch, I never have. I was just offering my insight why Apple is l more exclusive to the square design, but the primary focus is health designation at this junction. However I would likely for Apple to expand in the future on a round design for consumer options, but I’m perfectly fine with the way the Apple Watch design currently is as it stands.

Right, I basically said this exact same thing in an above post in this thread.