Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritheshmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2021
My Apple Watch 42mm SS Gen1’s screen popped out because of a swollen battery! Would like to know if anyone got the same repaired or replaced in 2021?

If you did, how much did it cost? (Historically, apple has been charging about 80$ for the same)
What generation did you get as a replacement?

492F166B-3DEA-4705-A976-C0A8B4DD21C5.jpeg

EDIT: Apple said due to the swollen battery, they would potentially repair my watch for a price of 98 EUR; In hindsight, what they mean by repair is to hand me a "refurbished" unit is what I am assuming. That is a fair deal. But, the question is, did anyone do this in 2021? All older posts regarding the same go back to 2019.

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My Apple Watch 42mm SS Gen1’s screen popped out because of a swollen battery! Would like to know if anyone got the same repaired or replaced in 2021?

If you did, how much did it cost? (Historically, apple has been charging about 80$ for the same)
What generation did you get as a replacement?

View attachment 1740153
Replace the battery yourself.. ifixit has kits that include all the tools, battery and screen adhesive for around $40

ritheshmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2021
EDIT: Apple said due to the swollen battery, they would potentially repair my watch for a price of 98 EUR; In hindsight, what they mean by repair is to hand me a "refurbished" unit is what I am assuming. That is a fair deal. But, the question is, did anyone do this in 2021? All older posts regarding the same go back to 2019.

Janak Parekh

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
I personally would not spend the money in 2021, and rather save up for a new watch, if it makes sense for your budget. I suspect that’s why there aren’t more posts about it nowadays.

The S1/S2 are very very slow and won’t get watchOS upgrades anymore. Even the S3 is much faster, and the SE/S5/S6 faster yet.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Grab a S6 later this year when the sales start coming hot and heavy. Upgraded my S0 to an S5 last March for $100 off from Best Buy. Great deal!

ritheshmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2021
Grab a S6 later this year when the sales start coming hot and heavy. Upgraded my S0 to an S5 last March for $100 off from Best Buy. Great deal!
The S6 is already 80$ off online! Good time to grab one!

ritheshmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2021
I personally would not spend the money in 2021, and rather save up for a new watch, if it makes sense for your budget. I suspect that’s why there aren’t more posts about it nowadays.

The S1/S2 are very very slow and won’t get watchOS upgrades anymore. Even the S3 is much faster, and the SE/S5/S6 faster yet.

I get your point! But I could rather spend the 98€ and the same fixed and hand it out as a gift (Brother would love to have it!) and get the Watch 6 for myself (Maybe even the 7 if it comes out later this year!)

But the question remains, what did apple give back in return? Series 2?

ppj845

macrumors regular
May 23, 2020
In the same shoes, battery deteriorate. I would go for the apple route if I can get a newer device like at least an S2. If not this watch doesn’t even give any trade in value with apple anymore, it’s quite a lot to charge that much money if in Apple’s eyes it doesn’t worth any money.

ritheshmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2021
In the same shoes, battery deteriorate. I would go for the apple route if I can get a newer device like at least an S2. If not this watch doesn’t even give any trade in value with apple anymore, it’s quite a lot to charge that much money if in Apple’s eyes it doesn’t worth any money.
I have seen mentions of Apple replacing with S2; but this isn’t confirmed! It’s just what they have in stock that they provide.
Did Apple give you the 79$ Replacement offer?
For me, I would pay the price and expect the Watch to last a year or so more! I don’t want to splurge on thr S6 yet!

ritheshmn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2021
I bought the first gen SS 42mm and the face fell off after 3 years, I glued back the face and traded it in for a gen 3, apple would not help at all.
That’s just sad! Was the battery swollen? In my case, it was! So they offered a battery replacement for 99€ (which is steep, so, I hope they replace mine with something a generation ahead at the least)

The Gen1 SS is now worth Nothing at all! So I can’t even trade it in. I am awaiting for my watch to return from Apple.

ppj845

macrumors regular
May 23, 2020
Congrats! It’s kind of a collector item now. For mine I think I’ll just attempt replacing the battery myself. It costs 10 dollars. For me notification and music control are all I need it for. Don’t see a need for an S456

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.