Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be in the process of decoupling the iPhone from the watchOS update process on the Apple Watch.

apple_watch_software_update.jpg

In the first beta of watchOS 6, the Apple Watch gained its own over-the-air software update mechanism under Settings > General > Software Update. As on the iPhone, the mechanism checks for any available watchOS update and, if prompted, downloads the update directly to the Apple Watch.

The mechanism became functional on Monday when Apple seeded the second beta of watchOS 6 to developers.

As noted by Jeremy Horwitz, however, users still must review and accept the watchOS terms and conditions using an iPhone. Hopefully this is a temporary step that Apple removes before watchOS 6 is publicly released in September.

Sure seems like the stage is being set for direct-to-Apple Watch software updates in watchOS 6, though it hasn't been fully freed quite yet from the need to approve things on the iPhone. pic.twitter.com/pf3wBC3vU5 - Jeremy Horwitz (@horwitz) June 17, 2019

Updating an Apple Watch's software previously required using the Apple Watch app on an iPhone for the entire process.

This change is in line with the Apple Watch gradually becoming more independent from the iPhone. In 2017, for example, Apple Watch Series 3 models launched with cellular capabilities for making phone calls and more without an iPhone. And in watchOS 6, the Apple Watch received its own on-wrist App Store.

Article Link: Apple Watch Gets Over-the-Air Software Update Mechanism, But iPhone Still Required For Now

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This along with the App Store and independent apps that don’t have to have iPhone counterparts will help bring in Android users without having to explicitly provide an Android comparability. Android users can simply download the Google apps that they use to get them notifications on the wrist.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
For some time, people have said that Apple will never do this, because tying the watch to the phone was a way to sell more phones. Others have claimed that Apple will never release the watch to Android because of this tie, which includes(d) security ties.

But what I see happening is that it’s quite possible that in September, in conjunction with the new iPhone, Watch and possibly iPad releases, Apple will stun everyone saying that in order to get the advanced health benefits to the widest range of people, the Watch will be available to those not having an iPhone.

Everything they’ve been doing over the past year, and with WatchOS 6 points in that direction. It makes a lot of sense.

Hodar1

macrumors regular
I wish the OS updates would present a choice, let me burn my (unlimited) data, or WiFi. I understand and appreciate the requirement for either a charger on the watch, or a battery level on the phones.

But, a warning box that says "Update will require a 'x' Mbyte download, proceed with using Data Plan, or wait until WiFi is available?"

This does not seem like an insurmountable request.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is just the start, it’s all about independency. The Apple Watch is not there yet, but it eventually it will separate itself away from the iPhone being its own entity. Eventually I see a day where the Apple Watch Will be a standalone device not dependent on the iPhone. I believe Apple visions this to be a ‘long-term’ goal for the Apple Watch as well.

bigboyz12000

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
USA

Apple appears to be in the process of decoupling the iPhone from the watchOS update process on the Apple Watch.

apple_watch_software_update.jpg

In the second beta of watchOS 6, the Apple Watch has gained its own over-the-air software update mechanism under Settings > General > Software Update. As on the iPhone, the mechanism checks for any available watchOS update and, if prompted, downloads the update directly to the Apple Watch.

The mechanism was introduced in the first beta of watchOS 6, but it was not functional.

As noted by Jeremy Horwitz, however, users still must review and accept the watchOS terms and conditions using an iPhone. Hopefully this is a temporary step that Apple removes before watchOS 6 is publicly released in September.

Updating an Apple Watch's software previously required using the Apple Watch app on an iPhone for the entire process.

This change is in line with the Apple Watch gradually becoming more independent from the iPhone. In 2017, for example, Apple Watch Series 3 models launched with cellular capabilities for making phone calls and more without an iPhone. And in watchOS 6, the Apple Watch received its own on-wrist App Store.

Article Link: Apple Watch Gets Over-the-Air Software Update Mechanism, But iPhone Still Required For Now
Im thinking when it is "standalone" like a Garmin watch, it will be bigger and bulkier? Just a guess as all that is needed will be in the watch at that point. I just want the apple watch to be more compatible but we know thats a hill to climb.

Rovank

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2015
iPad does have OTA updates.
Are you sure about that, MacFan23. I don't need to connect my iPad mini to iTunes to update. A WiFi connection is fine, and I'm pretty sure it works when the cell feature is on, but I'm not going to waste money on data to try find out.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
I'm on the the first beta of WatchOS 6 and it shows the OTA check
Yeah, my bad, I explained this incorrectly. I've updated the article:

In the first beta of watchOS 6, the Apple Watch gained its own over-the-air software update mechanism under Settings > General > Software Update. As on the iPhone, the mechanism checks for any available watchOS update and, if prompted, downloads the update directly to the Apple Watch.

The mechanism became functional on Monday when Apple seeded the second beta of watchOS 6 to developers.
(Obviously it wouldn't have worked until B2 since there was no update available until then.)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think at some point the Apple Watch will be the wireless host device for AR glasses, so it makes sense to move it away from the iPhone.

When this happens, the iPhone will become more of a legacy device for Apple, much like the Mac, which has lower sales volume and doesn't get as much attention. But there will always be a vocal subset of the community that will want to stick with the iPhone. With an Apple Watch and AR headset, you could basically create a multitouch interface on any surface, negating the need for an iPhone.

That all being said, it will be a long time before all of this comes to fruition because we need much faster processors for the Watch that sips power with larger battery capacity, and the same is true for the headset. I could see the Watch getting bigger with future iterations and doing the data connection and processing on the Watch and then sending that as a wireless signal (AirPlay 3?) to the AR glasses, which have minimal electronics (camera, maybe some depth sensors) so that they can be light and comfortable and still have enough battery to power the HUD. It's going to take a lot of time and engineering to get this working, but I see it as a viable outcome by around 2030.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
What he's saying is "why can't i use my apple watch with an ipad?"

The answer of course is simple: there's no health app on an ipad. Which leads to the next question: why no health app on an ipad?

From an implementation point of view the ipad is just as secure as an iphone, since it can do apple pay...but maybe apple pay for web isn't enough?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
This along with the App Store and independent apps that don’t have to have iPhone counterparts will help bring in Android users without having to explicitly provide an Android comparability. Android users can simply download the Google apps that they use to get them notifications on the wrist.
YES. I believe this is where Apple is going with this. Not only stand alone from iPhone, but stand alone from any platform. Now if they could only do this on the HomePod!

Don1985

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2017
Paisley
Interesting take. I don’t disagree, just hadn’t thought of it.

But what about folding phones, I thought they were the future!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.