Apple Watch getting new battery tech?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Nozuka, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Nozuka macrumors 68000

Might just be a mature coincidence, but if the LTE Apple Watch is coming it will probably need higher battery capacity and i have been waiting for a long time for apple to adopt the battery tech from SolidEnergy. They basically double the energy density of batteries.

Now why do i bring this up? Because SolidEnergy changed their website, saying:
    "NEW WEBSITE COMING SOON (09. 2017)"

And you can see a video playing in the background, showing an Apple Watch. The timing seems very suspicious.
    http://www.solidenergysystems.com/

Might even make it to the iPhone, since their plan used to be:
    "On the topic of smartphones, SolidEnergy plans to roll out batteries to this market, and to wearables, in "early 2017"."

But i expect it to come to the Apple Watch first. (Lower volume test)

[​IMG]

2. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If Apple does LTE the watch will be thicker. New battery tech is still a little bit in the future.

4. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Well, or the Watch stays the same size with smaller battery but better energy management and same duration.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Unless Apple makes the battery bigger, your LTE experience will be limited. Does not matter to me as I carry my phone all the time and have no choice but to use it. I can spend hours on the phone daily with customers and there is no way the watch is going to do that with out a honker battery.

6. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Enter Apple Cuff(tm), the wrist case that reloads your Apple Watch on the fly. Takes only 5 minutes of reload for a full hour of talking.

As magic as the AirPods case, just bigger and even better. With colors matching those of your Apple Watch. Now you can really show off your Apple stuff! :D

7. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Looks like Solid Energy is taking existing LiIon tech and shrinking it down. I'm not a chemist, but it seems current tech is pretty solidly at the boundary of what energy density to thermal limits will allow.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I would think using the same battery tech to draw the same amount of current out of a physically smaller/more energy dense battery would generate more heat and more heat is more chances for a "thermal event"

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Here's a link I found talking about it.
    http://news.mit.edu/2016/lithium-metal-batteries-double-power-consumer-electronics-0817

9. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Well, personally I'm not in need of an LTE Watch. My phone's around me all the time anyways.

10. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

I love the battery of my Series 2 (in contrast to the bad battery of my Series 0). But hopefully new battery tech allows for a thinner watch (regardless if it has LTE or not).

Myself I'm playing with a more minimalistic lifestyle. I don't always need a 7 Plus in my pocket when I'm out, and being able to send simple SMS with Siri, and make phone calls with my AirPods, would be fantastic.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Poor Samsung is already recalling the new Note because several have had "thermal events".