Apple Watch has a diagnostic port

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Apple Watch has a diagnostic port where the strap clicks on the watch:

The reason I ask is that the Apple Watch has a port that the company has yet to show off. It’s being used for diagnostics and direct access to the Watch operating system, but it’s feasible that could be used to connect accessories in the future.

The port has a 6-dot brass contact array inside the groove for the ‘bottom’ strap connector slot. Several sources have confirmed its existence and placement to me. It is very similar to the connector for the Lightning connector in iPhones, as that connector currently only uses 6 of its 8 available pins. Apple recently began opening up the Lightning port for use by third parties. A source says that this port is currently for diagnostic purposes only — but that there is nothing preventing it from being a connection port for future accessories.

Let’s get this out of the way: As far as I know, smart bands will not be a part of the first Apple Watch version.
http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/05/would-you-buy-a-smart-band-for-an-apple-watch/

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Makes sense that it has something that can be used to tether it to a computer for upgrades and such. Potential smart-bands in the future are a nice possibility.

Thanks pal

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2014
Clever. I would never had thought of that but it makes sense to use every bit of space on the watch surface. Also a good way to protect the port.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
So 9to5Mac says this port is only for employee watches and won't ship with the final product.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
So 9to5Mac says this port is only for employee watches and won't ship with the final product.
It seems like a pretty complex component to be used in just a temporary design.

But maybe not.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011

But maybe not.
I guess we'll find out on Monday. I'm still of the belief there will be some surprises on Monday beyond just having developers on stage showing off apps.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
It'd probably be more complex to secure such a port on a production watch against shorts caused by water or foreign debris, as well as just general wear and tear from users exchanging straps many times.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
No pressure, Tim! If you are reading the board and really have no big pleasant surprises, you have plenty of time to cancel the event. Just reveal everything needed to be announced in the website and upload the promotional AW apps videos from the developers. That will be a fantastic, no wasting of TIME surprise! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.