Apple Watch has become very dim

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cowboy77, Jul 22, 2017.

1. cowboy77 macrumors newbie

My wife and I are the owners of two apple watches, both Apple Watch Sport (first generation), 42mm, with aluminum case, model number MLC77LL/A. Watches were purchased six months apart. Both watches have gradually become very dim, my wifes' watch (first to be purchased) is so dim, its unreadable except in a dark room. Mine is barely readable in sunlight. I've dialed up the brightness to as high as possible on both watches, and i've tried the suggestions below with no success. I've taken the watches into the genius bar, and was told this type of failure is not common, and the only recourse was to purchase a new watch (both are out of warranty). My thoughts are that if two watches purchased six months apart exhibit the same failure mechanism, then the problem is more widespread than the feedback I am getting from Apple. Is anyone else having issues with a dim screens on their Apple watches??

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The bolded points you have listed above would likely not repair the issue with the screen dimming. Based on what you're saying, it sounds like the OLED display is fading for whatever reason.

Have the either of your Watches been subjected to water? OLED is also very sensitive to water.

3. cowboy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

mine has seen a little bit of water, my wifes' has not been exposed to any water

4. baconandgames macrumors newbie

baconandgames

863AA0AE-0F85-4677-B0F5-BB64D70E21B8.jpeg I have this issue. First generation watch. Here are two watches, same model, age, brightness displaying identical plain white images. Mine is completely unreadable in sunlight.

5. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

My S0 is still going strong. As bright as when I first wear it.

6. cowboy77 thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2018 ---
    I’ve gone back to using my two older analog watch, both of which are running fine, one is 10 years old, the other is a Seiko LaSalle which is 40 years old. The only things I was using the Apple Watch for towards the end was to track my exercise, and to unlock my MacBook Pro. The screen and UI weren’t very conducive to doing anything else. I cant justify the cost of a new Apple watch, especially given my history with its longevity, and minimal usefulness. I wish Apple would allow unlocking of MacBook Pro with iPhone, instead of limiting this feature to the watch.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Either two things, the OLED display is failing or you have water damage. It looks partially like you might have water exposure, which OLED is a highly sensitive too.

8. entropi macrumors 6502

Mine too! (bought and used since oct 2015)

9. baconandgames macrumors newbie

baconandgames

It's not water damage, never gotten it wet. I wish it was water damage, at least that would explain it and perhaps justify my getting a new one. This watch already cost me more than all my lifetime watches combined and I didn't even get 3 years out of it. Even with the newer ones being water resistant, tough to justify spending that amount of money on another watch I'll only get a few years out of