Apple Watch has Ceramic Back + Ion-X Glass?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gigaguy, Jul 9, 2016.

1. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Anybody ever seen an Apple Watch marked 'Ceramic Back' and 'Ion-X Glass' both, on the back?
    I just bought a used Watch online with that label, the layout looks like to the standard Watch ring of text marking on the back. It does not say Sapphire or Composite.
    Luckily, Apple site says the serial # is Unlocked, that was my main concern. I can return it if it doesn't work.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You bought a counterfeit?

It's also worth checking the text running around the sensors against the picture above, or against Apple's own photography. Check for obvious spelling mistakes, of course, but also make sure that it runs 'Apple Watch' (with logo) > [XX]mm case > 7000 series aluminium > Ion-X Glass (if it's the Sport model, or Sapphire, if not) > Composite back > [serial number].

3. gigaguy, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016

gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

Could be. I've had many Apple Watches, but I will compare it closer. otherwise it looks real, but again seller said I can return it and they have a very high rating. It has the modern buckle..

4. JayLenochiniMac, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, there's no such thing as a SS with ion-X. Anyone can lift the serial number of a real AW, unless you happen to get a mis-struck AW.

5. friednoodles macrumors regular

It would be really interesting to see some pictures of the watch, if you can.

6. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll try to post pics, turns out it's labeled Apple Demo in the back text ring. I'm told the Ion glass maybe was used for better demo screen visibility. I may get it tomorrow, see if it works...I can return it.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Did you pay a price commensurate with buying a standard AW? If so, I probably wouldn't return it. I reckon you could resell it for quite a bit more if it is an Apple demo watch.