Apple Watch has Infra-red?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bane-Thunder, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

I saw a hands on video from BBC news (Yeah i know, not the best source) and the presenter mentioned that the Apple Watch had Infrared. If true, could this mean we will see TV remote control apps?

If true, definitely a winner in my books. I know full well this watch is just an accessory to me cause I will still always use my iPhone but quick glances at the watch will be cool. Also having something on my wrist after all these years will be welcomed.

2. fousfous macrumors regular

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the infrared is on the back of the watch to help with detecting your heartbeat.

4. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

No. It would need a plastic window to allow the IR signal to pass through.

It's a gimmick anyway.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It can't "have" infra-red. Either it detects infra-red light, or it emits it. So which one does the OP mean?

6. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Anyhow, why is the BBC 'not the best source'?

7. dylman macrumors regular

dylman

The BBC dumbs down tech stories to the degree that they might as well be saying anything made past the year 2000 runs on fairy dust and magic.

8. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

Companies aren't going to put on the feature list "Infra-Red emitter", rather they always just put "Infra-Red". Consumers understand the dead basics of infra-red and instantly connect it to their home media remotes.

OP obviously meant an emitter to control TV's, audio receivers etc.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This, end of story.

[​IMG]

10. Bane-Thunder thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. But I wonder if this can be used by Devs to build TV remote control apps?

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

100% absolutely positively NO WAY.

Understanding infrared: Infrared is just below visible light on the electromagnetic spectrum (much higher than radio waves). It acts very much like light and must be line of sight. Just like you can't see the light LED's (left and right/east and west on the pic I posted) on your wrist there is NO WAY any device could see the infrared emitted off the back of the :apple:Watch unless you removed it from your wrist.

Besides the sensor is OFF LIMITS to developers.

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If the IR sensors are emitters, then it seems (slightly) possible, although not likely to be useful as a remote.
    Notice that those sensors are designed to contact your wrist, and your bare skin. You would need to remove the watch just to use your "remote" :rolleyes:.

(julien has a better answer than mine. )

13. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

I always assumed the Remote app on the Watch would function like the current iOS app - uses local wifi to control any ATVs that are on the same network.

I hope it's faster than the remote app or more configurable at least. :D

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Worse yet, it will use it's AirPlay type (BT/WiFi) point to point connection to send the commands to the iPhone and then your iPhone will send the signal over your WiFi.

So it's NOT likely to be faster.

The :apple:Watch has no way to connect directly to a WiFi network.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Tim Cook has talked about how he loves controlling his Apple TV from his Apple Watch.

However, that's almost certainly via Bluetooth.

Doesn't the latest ATV OS update have touch-to-setup BT?

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do we know this for sure? I mean, I know that may very well be the case, but do we have definitive proof showing this is true?

17. Julien, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

At the event Apple said nothing about the :apple:Watch having or using WiFi in any way. Also Apple was very carful to imply that all external communication would be via the iPhone. The only way we know about that the :apple:Watch having WiFi is in the printed press release handout and it says:

This is very close to definitive proof. Also if connecting to WiFi's it would likely include 802.11n too.

Plus in the screen shots of the Companion App it has a way for the :apple:Watch to connect devices through BT but has a no mention of WiFi.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Right, Gotcha.

But this means it's possible that the Apple watch could directly connect with Apple TV through Bluetooth, as kdarling suggested?

19. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Man, I would buy the watch solely if it had IR.

There are some TV's I have to turn on and off at work everyday, and if I could just use my watch... perfect!!

20. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

A friend used to have one of these (or similar) back in middle school - used it to pull pranks on substitute teachers.

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, I guess that is possible that the :apple:Watch could connect by BT to your :apple:TV without having to have your iPhone. There is no evidence to support this, but it could happen. If it does happen it will be transparent.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Where would one put a IR emitter on a watch, though? Remember that left handlers might want to wear their watch on their right arms, so you have to position the emitter in such a way that it is usable in either direction. Or you might just have to put in two emitters, one on each side.

And however you position the emitter on the watch, it is guaranteed that there will be some configuration of TV placement and various obstacles in the way that would require you to twist yourself into interesting contortions in order to align the emitter with the receiver on the TV.

Really, Infrared remotes is a technology that is due to be phased out -- I can't count the times I repeatedly pushed remote buttons wondering why the TV wasn't responding only to find that the cat was sitting in front of the receiver!

23. Bane-Thunder thread starter macrumors 6502

I was that friend! Lool I used to do that in school alot! Loved that watch. Its exactly what came to mind when I saw the Apple Watch. I wanted it to have this functionality but ahh well. My new TV has smart apps but maybe I need to buy a wifi adapter for it? Is that how the TV remotes app work on iOS?

I've got a Google chromecast connected to my TV atm.... for what its worth.

24. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Infrared remotes are line-of-site only and stink. But the Watch could be used to control Apple TV over wifi using the iPhone when it's on the home network.

Watch to iPhone = Bluetooth. iPhone to Apple TV= WiFi. Hand Off , Continuity, etc. Homekit, etc.. Apple is bridging everything.

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    You're right:

If Apple really does require all Watch apps to go through your iPhone, then there can be no direct Watch to Apple TV connection.

My thought was that Tim Cook could've ordered an exception to that rule, if he really loves controlling his ATV from his Watch that much, and doesn't always have his iPhone around :)