Apple Watch Help

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by markrath, Sep 22, 2017.

1. markrath macrumors member

markrath

i have been a fan of all things Apple since 1988. I am having a hard time being a fan of the Apple Watch. Don’t get me wrong I love the idea of the watch and the design but for me it doesn’t just work. I’m open to some help so I can embrace this little gem.

1. I have had a series 0 38mm and 42mm, I now have a series 3 42mm. I have tried 20 different bands, none fit my wrist comfortably. Either too tight or too loose. If I can get past the discomfort perhaps the rest will fall into place.

Suggestions?

2. I don’t want to tap my watch every time I just wanna look at the time, nor do I want a passcode I have to put in every time I look at the time. Here is the problem... I’m minding my own business hanging out on my couch watching tv. I notice my watch is “on”. Look at it and it’s in settings with the “are you sure u want to reset every Apple device u own?” highlighted. Of course I am exaggerating but you get the point. Now with my phone I may butt dial once every three months but with my watch random apps and settings popping up is every 3 hours - no exaggeration.

Anyone else have this issue? Suggestions?

Let’s start with these two bigger issue for me and I’ll see how it goes

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

If the problem is the band being too tight or too loose then I might suggest one of the ‘infinitely adjustable’ bands like the milanese loop or the new sport loop. One thing that’s worth noting is that your wrist doesn’t stay exactly the same size during the day. I use the link bracelet on my watch which obviously doesn’t have any flexibility and during parts of the day the watch is almost too tight and then a few hours later it will be so loose that it can slide up and down my wrist a bit. I’ve been using this band for more than two years now and it doesn’t really bother me, but I can see how it could be annoying to some. I’m not sure what causes this, but with one of the loop bands you can adjust and readjust the fit as necessary and you won’t be locked into trying to find the right ‘hole’ that’s close enough.

I’m not sure what to make of this... there are definitely times when I’ll look down and see that my watch is on when I didn’t expect it to be because it misinterpreted some movement of my wrist and woke up, but it’s always just sitting on the watch face. I’ve been using an Apple Watch for more than two years now, since day one of Series 0 and I can’t think of any instance at all where the watch unexpectedly started an app on it’s own, with the one exception of when I’m in the shower. There have been cases then where the watch wakes up and then a drop of water happens to fall on one of my complications and starts an app that way.

Frankly I’m having a hard time even picturing how you might be able to start an app randomly as that would require a screen tap and unless your watch is waking up and then something is randomly tapping the screen while it’s awake I can’t figure out how apps would be starting. Additionally it seems like it would be very difficult to start any apps other than the ones that have active complications as that would require even more screen taps and maybe even a crown press. Does it always seem to be the same app or apps that randomly start? Are they ones that you have active complications for?

3. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Actually I had one more thought for your second issue. In the watch app on the phone if you go to General, then Wake Screen how do you have “On Screen Wake Show Last App” configured? The default is “within 2 minutes of last use”, but you can set it for 1 hour or always. If you have one of the longer settings, then perhaps when the watch is waking up randomly as you move your wrist it’s waking up to an app that you had previously used.

4. markrath thread starter macrumors member

markrath

Thanks for the thoughts - here is some real life situations today. I was driving today and I had closed out all the apps before leaving. When I go to my destination the "now playing" screen was up. I went back to the "home screen" and proceeded with my day. I was doing laundry looked at my watch and the Calendar was open. Then it happened one other time today and the phone app was open. The first two are in my favorites and the phone app is one of my compilations. I will try the longer setting as you suggested.

As for the band, I have been using the band that came with it and I believe it is just taking some time to get used to it. I have been wearing my watch for 2 days. With the Series 0 since it wasn't water resistant I would take it off when I shower or swim and would forget to put it on so I think it was just a matter of getting used to it every time I did put it on.

Thanks for the help!

5. BrettDS macrumors 65816

By default with watchOS 4 the now playing screen comes up when you play music on your phone. So if you were playing music on your phone during your drive through Bluetooth or whatever then that would explain why now playing was up when you reached your destination. You can turn this off by going to settings, then General, then Wake Screen, then turn off “Auto Launch Audio Apps”

As far as the other two, that is definitely odd... I can’t imagine what would have caused them to auto launch. You can get to the calendar by tapping the date (assuming your have the date as one of your complications) and if the phone app is also a complication then it seems like a single tap on the screen in the right spot would launch either app, but I still don’t understand how you would be getting a random tap on the screen. Your clothes touching the screen certainly shouldn’t register as a tap and I can’t imagine what else might bump the screen and register as a tap.

Finally, for changing the timeout setting, I was suggesting that you change it to a shorter setting, such as the default “2 minutes” rather than a longer setting. That way if you do wind up in an app, either accidentally or because you were using it, then it should time out quicker and go back to the watch face the next time you do try to use the watch.

6. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

7. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

1. Give the 38mm a try again. Seriously. I never could get the 42mm comfortable on my 170mm wrist. The 38mm feels much better and is no harder to read in my opinion. If weight is the issue, try the aluminum case if you have stainless steel, although weight shouldn't be an issue if the case size and watch band are a good match for your wrist.

1b. If you can't get the 38mm comfortable trying 20 different bands, then maybe you just don't like wearing watches? I can't imagine ANY watch being comfortable for you if you've tried that many bands. Assuming you aren't trying to make the 42mm comfortable on a wrist that just isn't big enough for it. If that's the case, see my recommendation to try the 38mm again.

Roll or raise your wrist. That should be all you have to do. The only time I have to tap my watch is when I'm holding something in my hand and can't roll or raise my wrist. I've had my Apple Watch for more than 2 years and it really hasn't been an issue. Even when I can't roll or raise my wrist, it's no big deal to tap the face. My father had the original Pulsar "time computer" (the first digital LED watch) in 1973 and you had to press a button for it to show you the time!

As far as the "are you sure you want to reset ever Apple Device you own?" I've never heard of that issue. Have you been to an Apple store or contacted Apple support? Random apps and settings popping up? Every now and then one of my complications launches the app without me intending to do it, but honestly it's pretty rare. Can you be more specific about when and how this is happening for you?

All things considered, I'm thinking maybe you just aren't that into the watch. That's fine. If you really wanted to keep it, I think you would have already figured out how to live with the things you don't like about it (or resolve them). But before you give up on it completely, if the comfort thing is a problem, I really would try the smaller 38mm case.

Sean

8. markrath thread starter macrumors member

markrath

Now that I can believe!! LOL Maybe the watch started this thread...... Annabelle? Can you hear me....?

9. markrath thread starter macrumors member

markrath

[
    The now playing setting was the key to that one! Thanks
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    My original post had some sarcasm and exaggerations in it.

20 different bands.... exaggeration
    Reset every Apple device you own? ..... sarcasm

I’m a bit of a smart butt and it doesn’t translate in written word very often unless you know me

I love my Apple Watch just want to get past the learning curve a little quicker. I think with the info you and Brett gave helped with that. The iPhone, iPad, MacBook are so similar because of screen size, function, etc. but the watch was a little foreign to me. But I learned a lot since I got it on Friday

Thanks