Apple Watch in Short Supply Due to Taptic Engine Bottlenecks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 29, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Apple Watch has been available in extremely limited quantities since pre-orders for the device launched on April 10, and a new report from The Wall Street Journal sheds some light on why supplies have been low. A key component of the Apple Watch, the Taptic Engine, was made by two separate suppliers, and the devices created by one of Apple's suppliers were "found to be defective."
    Apple was unable to use the Taptic Engines from the supplier in Shenzhen, China, but those produced by a second supplier in Japan did not have the same issue. The majority of Taptic Engine production is now being done in Japan, but it will take some time for the factory to increase production, and with a single supplier, quantities of the taptic engine available for use in Apple Watch devices likely remains low.

[​IMG]
    The Taptic Engine is a linear actuator, creating motion in a straight line by moving a small rod. It powers the haptic feedback capabilities of the Apple Watch, delivering the small taps that are felt on the wrist with notifications, pings from friends, heartbeats, and more. The Taptic Engine is a major part of the Apple Watch, working in conjunction with audio cues to deliver subtle alerts and notifications to Apple Watch wearers.

To resolve some of the supply constraints on the Apple Watch, Apple is said to be planning to add Foxconn as a second assembler of the Apple Watch, alongside Quanta Computer. Foxconn may begin manufacturing the Apple Watch in late 2015 at the earliest, so according to The Wall Street Journal, it may take several months for Apple Watch supplies to improve significantly.

Apple has repeatedly said that it's working to get Apple Watch orders as out as quickly as it can, and it has indeed been shipping orders out before their prospective delivery dates. Many customers who originally had 4 to 6 week shipping estimates have already begun receiving their devices.

Apple Watch orders placed today offer shipping estimates ranging into June and beyond, but it's possible that many orders will reach consumers ahead of that time as Apple works to increase available supply.

Article Link: Apple Watch in Short Supply Due to Taptic Engine Bottlenecks

2. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

I knew something was going on. I really hope they rectify these issues soon.

3. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

i wonder how many thousands of units were scrapped

4. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Now will people stop crying about how Apple is screwing them over by waiting a little longer?

doubt it

5. KPOM macrumors G5

I'm sure this is somehow Angela Ahrendts' fault. :rolleyes:

6. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Could explain why so many were having taptic issues with their watches...

7. KPOM macrumors G5

They deliberately told one of their suppliers to make defective parts to make it look like there was high demand. /s

8. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

I felt a great disturbance in the Force Touch, as if millions of watch orders suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

mine was produced last week. i hope it arrives without any of those flaws tomorrow

10. ryansimmons323, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

ryansimmons323 macrumors regular

Gruber's initial review unit had a broken Taptic Engine -

11. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

How do I found out when mine was produced. Do you have a link?

12. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

13. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

This will inevitably result in more money for eBay scalpers.

14. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

What's the name of the tactic engine supplier in Japan ?

15. destroyer2012 macrumors newbie

Who's watches are shipping?

All I really want to know is who the latest group of people receiving their watches are.

I ordered mine at 6am (MT)... had to wait until morning because I was waiting for a pay check.. little did I know that apple doesn't charge your account until shipment.. Had one in the cart at 1:01am....... uh

Anyways, order confirmation April 10, 6:20am. SS 42mm BSB

Where are people with that watch in order line? Anyone that ordered after the first hour have any status updates, or is apple still shipping out to people who ordered within the first few seconds....?

16. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

17. 2457282, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

2457282 Suspended

Please Tim and Angela, figure this out and get me a watch. And definetly before you get my wife's watch to her. I would never live that down.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

I doubt they were scrapped entirely. However, they may have had to have been pulled so that replacement taptic engines could be put inside them.

19. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Doesn't make sense.

I ordered 2 black sports within seconds or the launch. 4-6 week delivery.

Yesterday I ordered a white sports. Out for delivery tomorrow!

They both use the same Taptic engine!

20. KPOM macrumors G5

Nidec.

21. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So this is breaking news on CNBC. Are you kidding me?!?

22. macboyfan macrumors member

Good thing mine hasn't even been created yet. I'm glad now that the online Apple Store was down extra long for me. ;)

23. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

24. bushido Suspended

bushido

there u go

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

just put in your serial number which should be shown on your device profile even if u havent gotten the watch yet.

25. KPOM macrumors G5