Apple watch in space?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by NTFM, May 25, 2015.

1. NTFM macrumors newbie

I wonder if it is possible to use the apple watch in high altitude (low pressure) or space.

Watches for pilots therefore have the ability to keep their glasses fixed to the body of the watch - waterproof watches always had the risk of their glasses popping of when the outside pressure dropped. No pilot or astronaut wanted to have flying debris of a popped watch flying around in a plane or spaceship.

This is one of the reasons NASA tested the watches and went for a official watch with a plastic watch glas on the official Speedmaster Professional.

Obviously there have been other watches in space (Rolex GMT) but their watch glasses are fixed to the watchcase.

As far as I know the watchglas of the Apple watch is just pressed into the watchcase... Is it possible to use it in High Altitude /low pressure environment?

Tbh I think the apple watch could be a big contribution for space missions because a wrist worn computer seems to be useable for uncountable uses.

Of course I do know, that it should be usable inside the ISS because it is pressureized.

What do you think - will we see an apple watch on the ISS in the near future?

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would doubt it. For telling time, a standard watch works much better because they don't have to worry about charging it and all of the smart settings like raise to speak. None of it will work on a walk because of gloves, and I don't know how often astronauts use them inside the ISS.

Plus NASA is pretty proprietary. I don't think they have many mission-critical computers running Windows, Mac OS or anything similar. Their tasks are so unique that they have to make their own systems. Also the fact that you need an iPhone nearby and the ISS is a little out of AT&T's coverage zone might hinder any use.

3. kevm macrumors newbie

The activate on wrist raise feature probably won't work in zero g.

4. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Think of the slow adoption rate of new technology in the most stubborn department (typically finance, accounting or legal) in the most stubborn enterprise size business. Double the pressure of that play-it-safe-and-tested thinking, and you've basically got the adoption rate of new tech for a place like NASA. Far as they're concerned, they've solved this issue and won't go looking for new solutions to conquered problems.

5. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Apple watch in space?

Maybe the space gray one :p

6. KateGladstone macrumors member

Do they have WiFi in space?
    Do the astronauts have iPhones? If so, how well do the iPhones' accelerometers work in free fall?

----------

If the watch glass may pop off under low pressure, is the watch safe on a passenger jet? I have airplane travel coming up in early June, and may have received my watch by then.

7. mav macrumors newbie

I think the glass will stay on inside the pressurized cabin although the accelerometer wouldn't work correctly.

Outside the ship, in actual space, the Omega Speedmaster remains the only watch certified for EVA use. Back in the 1960's, the NASA conducted a series of tests against several watches for use in space. Only the Speedmaster survived. More can be read here, if interested: http://monochrome-watches.com/omega-speedmaster-history-part-1-early-pre-moons/