Apple Watch in Vogue Magazine

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gregfuller, Jul 10, 2015.

1. gregfuller macrumors newbie

gregfuller

Apple really missed their core demographic with the Vogue Magazine advertisement. No matter how it's positioned, would you wear one as a compliment to a nice suit or evening gown? In my opinion, it looks funky. Like wearing a Micky Mouse watch with an Armani suit.

2. friedmud macrumors 65816

My SS with Milanese Loop looks just fine with my suit.

Honestly, even the black sport band looks pretty decent. I wouldn't wear it to a fancy event, but I didn't have any problems wearing it at a recent conference.

Everyone has different fashion sensibilities :)

3. gregfuller thread starter macrumors newbie

gregfuller

4. gregfuller thread starter macrumors newbie

gregfuller

Agreed. Different strokes for different folks.

5. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Vogue Editor-in-Chief, Anna Wintour has been seen at events wearing an Apple Watch. So has Karl Lagerfeld.

Different strokes, yeah, but the highest echelons of the fashion world don't see it as a "Mickey Mouse Watch".

6. gregfuller thread starter macrumors newbie

gregfuller

7. gregfuller thread starter macrumors newbie

gregfuller

Hmm? I wonder if the higher end of the fashion world may have been influenced by ad revenues?

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What core demographic? Those who shell out $10-17K won't hesitate to wear the Edition with a dress/suit.

9. gregfuller thread starter macrumors newbie

gregfuller

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I think you're late to the party. Vogue China did a front page with the Edition on a model (including dressed up) some time ago.

11. gregfuller thread starter macrumors newbie

gregfuller

Paying 10/17k for a watch that looks like it was won from an amusement park ring toss game? Yes, your right, they probably wouldn't hesitate. Thank God for immature Chinese luxury buyers!

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The Edition models hardly look like amusement park toys, but you won't get anywhere putting down those buyers and you'll end up sounding like the immature one.

13. gregfuller thread starter macrumors newbie

gregfuller

Yes, I'm aware. That demographic makes sense for China.

14. gregfuller thread starter macrumors newbie

gregfuller

I'm not putting down anyone and I'm a huge fan of Apple products. If your a new money luxury consumer, and you associate wearing a gold plated hub cap around your neck with high fashion, God bless you! Go for it! I just wish that Apple would continue the vision of Steve Jobs as opposed to hauking poorly engineered baubles. "Think Different."

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The Edition is a far cry from gaudy, diamond-encrusted gold Rolexes, although I'm not a fan of the latter.

16. gregfuller thread starter macrumors newbie

gregfuller

To me it's not an issue of how stylish or fashionable the watch is or isn't. The issue is one of abandoning the core beliefs that the Apple brand stands for. It seems like they just decided to take the good will of Apple out for a reckless joy ride. I believe the lack of thoughtful and intuitive design is devaluing the Apple brand. Seems like the quintessentially short sighted American business 101. The good old early adopter as a beta group model, perfected by Microsoft. Instead of "Think Different" the long term message might just be "Think Twice."

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's not like the rest of us can't have the Apple Watch in the form of Sport and SS models. They're targeting the Edition to a very specific group of customers. There's no need to become preoccupied about them when the vast majority of us can easily afford and get the non-Edition models.

18. gregfuller thread starter macrumors newbie

gregfuller

I
    There's no way to know for sure, but I'll bet if Steve Jobs were still alive, the Apple watch would still be in the product development stage. Steve Jobs was to Apple what John Lennon was to the Beatles. So it seems like to me, John Lennon died and the Beatles started competing with the BeeGees for the best disco song of the year. The whole thing seems really off to me.

19. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Wintour in the editor, NOT the publisher. She's gives a wit about ad revenue. What she DOES care about is fashion, and fashion trends - she's the real life person depicted in "The Devil Wears Prada". She'd never be caught dead in public wearing something just to bump ad revenues.

Karl Lagerfeld is one of the top designers of the past few decades. He has zero to do with the publishing industry.

I realize you are brand new to the forum, so please don't keep posting empty messages just to bump your thread count. Also, PLEASE use the search function, as this subject has already been debating ad-nauseum since March. And yes, this INCLUDES the mandatory "what would Steve do" non-argument.

20. jannette macrumors 6502

OK. Agree with you to a point. But Anna has not been wearing an Apple Watch at the latest catwalk shows. I am sure she did not do the publicity shots for money.....it was just a good marketing ploy by Apple.

21. anez macrumors 6502

anez

Maybe she tired of it, like many others who were initially very enthusiastic about the Watch. This forum is proof that many early adopters simply discovered over time that this product wasn't for them.

The fact that she's quit wearing hers doesn't mean that her initial interest wasn't genuine.

22. dandrewk macrumors 6502

I don't think anyone said she was paid to wear the watch. It was postulated that she was cozying up to Apple to get some advertising revenue for Vogue. Totally absurd.

And what fashion accessory has EVER been worn twice by someone like her? They get this stuff for free. If they like it, they wear it ONCE. Any variance from this would be noticed and reported.

23. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

I love my SS with pink modern buckle, but when I went to a semi-formal event this week, I chose to wear a dressier watch. The Apple watch just didn't look dressy enough in my opinion, although I could have gotten by with wearing it.

24. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

If I recall correctly she still uses a flip phone.. Her wearing the watch was most likely for marketing.

Edit: okay looks like she did move up from a flip phone to an iPhone
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...tour-upgrades-cell-spotted-15-flip-phone.html

It would seem she's not very much into tech products so I'm not shocked she isn't wearing it.

25. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

As a long time Apple fan I have a lot of affection for Steve Jobs. But there seems to be a problem with people rewriting history, Steve Jobs made mistakes. That is not me saying I think the watch is one, but people assuming that when Apple do something that they don't like, that Steve wouldn't have done that is probably wrong. And by the way the Beatles split up many years before John Lennon died, so your reference is completely wrong.