Apple Watch iPhone Dependancy

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Futhark, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Ok i know the Apple Watch needs to have an iPhone paired with it but do I really need to take my iPhone out when going for a run if i just want it to measure distance, heart rate etc?

I see in todays video of the lady running the marathon she has her iPhone strapped to her arm in training but this wasn't with her in the marathon itself but she did have a bum bag attached to her that could have held the phone i suppose. :confused:

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Watch will be quite useless without the iphone.

This really is just an iphone accessory that happens to tell the time, more than a 'smartwatch'. This is how people should be looking at this device.

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

You won't get GPS data (or internet connectivity of any kind) without the phone. You will still get steps, heart rate, etc, and can sync your music to the watch as well (no idea how much music though).

4. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Apple Watch iPhone Dependancy

Yes I don't mind not having any Internet connectivity while running and I know I'll not have GPS but I hope it still functions for heart rate, distance etc and the data can then be updated to the phone once they are back together

5. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

We know most of the health metrics will still work without an iPhone. I'm skeptical about distance working well, but I guess we'll see.

6. Aces2412 macrumors regular

This the reason I will wait or #2 or #3, not until they add gps to the watch. Do the garmin watches have gps?

7. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

At present I use the Nike+ Fuelband which only gives me steps. They used to give an estimate of distance by how many steps taken but they withdrew that in an app update.

8. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. Seems like a very inconsistent way to measure distance.

9. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Yeah I agree but being a postman I loved seeing how many miles I walked in a day lol.

The M7 processor now does this very accurate for me