Apple Watch: is it going to help me or make things worse?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mailboxbetacoin, Apr 16, 2015.

1. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

I find it hard to manage notifications (phone, texts, snapchat...) on the phone, and keeping things private.
    You leave your phone behind for a minute, and the gf sees the other girl notification on your home screen.
    I have found Touch ID to improve things, as the gf don't ask for passcode anymore; but I still like to have notifications on home screen for faster access.

I was wondering, with notifications coming on the wrist, will that improve things as the phone may not vibrate (and the iPhone 6+ vibrates as loud as a ringtone) anymore, and may be able to peek at the watch discreetly; or will looking at your wrist be more suspicious than anything...

I don't know, something to think about...

2. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

you got relationship issues to address there first :p

3. mailboxbetacoin thread starter macrumors 6502

mm, never saw it that way, always thought it was a technological problem

4. chrise2 macrumors 6502

This is actually a problem. I'm not a player like you, but I have a Mac and a Pebble watch. On my Pebble I'll get personal texts that show up on the display that can sometimes be inappropriate for work.

Same goes for the Mac. With iMessage, texts and stuff pop up on the screen. Most of the time that's ok. Except when someone is working with me at my desk.

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You can set your phone to mute with no vibrate and only receive vibration alerts on the watch.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I said it in a different thread. It is time to tell a few contact I have an apple watch and certain text will be visible to the public.

7. mailboxbetacoin thread starter macrumors 6502

My understanding is that when the watch "vibrates" it only lights up if you're looking at it; and if so, (at least for the Apple message app) it will only show a brief summary of the notification (like the sender) and only show the entire message if you keep staring for another second or two.
    That's cool but doesn't extend to third party apps.. so we'll see

8. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

Nah bro, you'll be good.
    The watch doesn't light up when you get a text like the Pebble does; you'l get a tap and you can either raise the watch to view or cover it with your hand to dismiss. If you dismiss it, you'll have to scroll up on the watch face to see it again. No risk of accidentally displaying your side boo's texts.

9. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Both:p it will makes some things better and make some things worse, and create completely new problems.

Cars are great, but I walk less, so I join the gym, gym cost money so I work harder..

My phone is great, but also sometimes a pain, too much information, and forget it in the house when outside, so I'm getting a watch.

For every answer tech solves, it creates more problems to solve:(. watch will be no different.