Apple Watch "is-it-working" checklist?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by zmunkz, May 5, 2015.

1. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Hey guys! I got my watch today -- I am completely loving it. 42SS with milanese. I am about to send it out to a plating service. I love the gold look, but the edition was not in my price range. The SS+plating is a good price point for me, and gets me the look that I really like.

I had a conversation with Apple, and they were quite clear that this would totally void my warranty as well as AppleCare (if I had it). I'm sure people on here will question the wisdom of my choice to proceed, but I thought it through and I'm comfortable with those implications. However, to be prudent, I do want to make sure that the watch is in proper functioning order before sending it out, so that I can take advantage of the warranty now if needed.

Based on the conversations on these forums, I've checked that the crown isn't sticking, that I can feel the haptic notifications, that Siri is working, and that the screen does not appear separated. Can anyone chime in if there are other recurring issues on these forms or elsewhere that might be worth testing? Any other thoughts or feelings I might benefit from hearing before I do this?

Thanks in advance!!

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

3. whatos macrumors 6502a

4. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

5. pjschmid macrumors member

I would wear it until the 14 day return window ends

I have been having issues with mine sensing that it's on my wrist. It hasn't worked consistently since Friday. It's looking like I will need to return it. I haven't been getting any real help from support. They have had me in a holding pattern with no resolution in sight and the return window is closing.

Personally, I would hold off until at least the 14 day return period elapses. I would probably wait even longer with such a new product. You just don't know what issues may turn up at this point.

6. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

OP, here's my story. I had the watch for about 4 days and on the 4th day, it became unresponsive and very hot. I returned it back to Apple for a full refund and am waiting on my 42 mm Space Gray to ship. See the thread I started below:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1877691

7. zmunkz thread starter macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Damn... I feel for you, thats rough. I probably should have waited until the end of the 14 day window as some people suggested, but my impatience got the best of me. Hopefully I don't come to regret it... if I really get stuck I'll have to take some sandpaper and try removing the plating I suppose. In any case, hopefully you get your replacement soon!

8. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

yep. good luck in the plating! make sure to put up some pictures!

9. starbot macrumors regular

Uh what? Don't give him false guarantees. Compared with any other device I can think of, I would be most worried about someone tearing down and reassembling the watch.. I know it's been done before, but there are very tight tolerances here, and plating absolutely changes the dimensions Apple has worked hard to insure are in tolerance.

10. zmunkz thread starter macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

This particular plating process does not require disassembly, and deposits about 35 µm of gold on the surface, so in tight spaces such as around the Crown, the tolerance will be 70 µm less. I think your concerns are very valid, but I'm hoping that this particular modification proves to be innocuous ...

In any event the deed is done, I'll be getting it back in a few days time and will be able to report back then ... Wish me luck!