Apple Watch - Is the Crown color changeable?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cariacou, Sep 9, 2014.

1. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

On several different Apple Watch pictures, the crown matches the bracelet (pink, white, black,...).

How is that achieved?
    Is it a one time choice at the time of purchase?
    Are there LEDs inside the crown to change it on demand?

Or maybe can you buy a couple crowns and change them yourself?

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Looks like only on :apple:Watch Edition models.

They appear to be inserts that match the watch band.

3. cariacou thread starter macrumors 6502a

cariacou

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We don't even know if it's actually changeable on the Edition models either. Maybe it doesn't need to be because other bands (with silver buckle, etc.) won't match the yellow/rose gold case anyway.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple shows about 5 or 6 different crowns. With 2 sizes X 2 colors that is a large number of top of the line models. If not interchangeable then I bet the Edition is so exclusive that you (can) order it with the crown you want.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, but nobody is going to want to put the stainless steel/black crown on say, aluminum or Space Gray case because the metal colors would be off. The only "unique" color-coded crowns are found on the Edition models and unless they can be interchangeable they seriously limit the bands you can use. Not to mention that the standard bands with stainless steel buckle won't match the gold cases.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It looks like the Sport will just be aluminum, Watch will have Stainless/Black crown and the Edition gets the color crown options. After looking at the Edition I wonder if the center piece might be removable (magnetic???)?

I would just hate to spend $1200 (maybe $3000) on an Edition and be stuck with a red (or whatever color) crown when using other bands. For that price point I want my band to match my watch (like in the pics).

Of course unless I fall in a pit of crazy money I'm scrapping for the Sport anyway.:D

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They already come with matching bands but I bet most people who get the Edition model will not want to anyway because it'll scream "I can afford to drop several thousands dollars!"

My guess is anyone who can afford $3000 for the Edition version will be able to afford another standard model like stainless steel which is more versatile with the available bands.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What I'm saying is if I buy the Edition with red band/crown, and I also buy a blue band and Milanese Loop band I want to have matching crowns (blue/black) too. Don't want a red crown on a blue band. That would be a little tacky.

10. cariacou thread starter macrumors 6502a

cariacou

I guess an LED-powered crown would not be possible right?

According to the pictures, it looks like a dull color, I don't think an LED could reach a suble tone like that

11. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

There is already a colour led... On the front face wich I suppose can be used for notification as well...
    You point is however very interesting, but I think it would be like the crown of Cartier watches.... Distinctive for the normal and edition watches...
    Correct me if I'm wrong

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Clearly not.:cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I can see how crown color is a problem but I don't think there's a Milanese Loop band with the gold trim. Pairing the yellow gold case with the Milanese Loop/silver trim might look a bit tacky.

It remains to be seen whether it's actually changeable on at least the Edition models.

14. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Yeah, I don't think we're seeing any metal bands in 18K. Those would be very expensive bands.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Also, even if someone wants to make it a two-tone (yellow 18K gold case and standard Milanese loop), the silver end on the standard band poses a problem.

16. cariacou thread starter macrumors 6502a

cariacou

that's true, they are not as dull as I thought :)

but that's a picture.

A light-emitting crown would be very weird in real life, wouldn't it?

or maybe they are using something like a color e-paper crown. that would be very cool :)